USMC, 5th Marine Regiment- WWI Victory Medal bar entitlement-

Terra Nova

In my care, I have a partial medal group (NY CSC; NY State Service Medal; French Croix de Guerre with Palm) to Cpl Joseph SPINLEY, USMC 5th Marine Regiment. The WWI Victory medal is, however, absent. By looking at his NY War Service Card (attached) would it be possible to determine what bars he would be entitled to for the Victory Medal? My reading of the card suggests that he was present with his unit in France from June 7, 1917 until wounded in action October, 4 1918. It seems that his wound may not have been disabling as he was assigned to a Replacement Bn on October, 15, 1918 then back to his regiment in time for Occupation Service.

Any assistance in determining his Victory Medal bars entitlement would be appreciated as would any other information regarding this Marine (other than from Ancestry, which I have gleaned) would be appreciated. Thank you.

With kindest regards,

Tim

post-162341-0-47592100-1551794647.jpg

I think all five for 5th Marines - Aisne, Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse Argonne, Defensive Sector. He was in my grandfather’s company (51st). Enlisted at about the same time, took basic training in Philadelphia (Parris Island wasn’t built yet).

Thank you very much, this is very helpful. Such an amazing coincidence - being in the same Company as your grandfather, they stood a very good chance of knowing each other. I am most obliged to you.

with kindest regards,

Tim