Early USCG Surfman's Jacket (1915-1920)

newki1oj

I inherited this tunic along with the rest of my Dad's collection. I've got a good handle on most of the stuff but this has me stumped. 7-button, eagle w/anchor buttons but the anchor is straight down from the eagle, not angled like the USMC buttons I've seen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

post-220575-0-00416500-1551753862_thumb.jpg

post-220575-0-89192600-1551753948_thumb.jpg

MastersMate

Would you consider the color to possibly be a well worn and washed out olive drab ??

Are the larger front buttons to be 13/16" diameter and the pocket flap buttons to be 5/8" diameter ??

A possibility would be a well worn 1916 to 1924 sh uniform worn by the enlisted personnel of the Coast Guard Lifesaving Branch..

It doesn't appear to be washed out or faded as this color is consistent throughout. The buttons are the sizes that you mentioned.

• 2 months later...

The 1908 uniform regulations are online, and this is not in them. I'm not finding one for 1915 when the USCG was formed...

• 4 weeks later...
agate hunter

Post 1915 - 1920s USCG surfman uniform, very nice! Subdued and numbered crossed oar and life-ring collar insignia would have been worn with it.

Post 1915 - 1920s USCG surfman uniform, very nice! Subdued and numbered crossed oar and life-ring collar insignia would have been worn with it.

agate hunter nailed it!

Early USCG Surfman's Jacket.

This is a very rare and under appreciated uniform. Although it may seem plain, you will search long and hard before you find another.

I had one years ago and traded it for some very high end WW1 Air Service material