Nice photo of Mid 50's jet with unit insignia

R Michael

here is one of the nicer slides from a 100+ kodachrome slide grouping i picked up on Ebay last week. Well worth the $9.95 price. thumbsup.gif

thought I would share. I know very little bout the bird.

Mike

post-1387-1229718734.jpg

It's a Lockheed F-94 "Starfire", and I believe it's an "A" model with 20mm cannons in the nose. Later variants were rocket & missile armed. Sure is a neat pix of an almost forgotten early jet interceptor.

Hi, beautiful shot of the aircraft. It is from the 64th Fighter Interceptor Squadron. The 64th FIS flew the F-94 from 1951-1954 out of Elmendorf AFB, Alaska. Hope this helps, Mark

Ahhh makes sense! as the other slides in the group are in Alaska, at least the military ones.

thanks guys for the great information! This one slide to me was well worth the purchase price for the entire lot.

Mike

Hi, beautiful shot of the aircraft. It is from the 64th Fighter Interceptor Squadron. The 64th FIS flew the F-94 from 1951-1954 out of Elmendorf AFB, Alaska. Hope this helps, Mark

LOL, the parachutes look like tennis shoes, that's kinda what I thought they were when I first looked at the picture...landing gear.

Andrew

Doctor! Head Examniation Please!

pinch.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Very new member here, but the F94C was my first airplane straight out of B47 tech school in 1955. I had been trained for 4 mths as a B47 mechanic so it made absolute sense for the AF to send me and about half my class to McClellan AFB in CA to work on fighters!

Especially since Amarillo was also training fighter mechanics and in fact one of my room mates was in fighter school at the time.

I don't remember much about the 94 as that was a long time ago, but as stated the C model did pick up a rocket pod on each wing and a rack that dropped down under the fuselage.

• 1 month later...

That indeed is a nice photo R Michael.

F100Kid, looks like we are of the same vintage. I started Basic Training at Sampson AFB in May 1955 and started Aircraft Mechanic school on the F84F at Amarillo on 21 August 1955.