M43 Jacket patches

Hello Everyone

I wonder if someone could tell me,( or advise on any book that will tell me) as to just what patches and other insignia would go on an enlisted mans m43 jacket, who was serving with the 407th Airborne Quartermaster company late 44-45 I look forward to your reply's .thank you.

regards Nick

Hello Everyone

I wonder if someone could tell me,( or advise on any book that will tell me) as to just what patches and other insignia would go on an enlisted mans m43 jacket, who was serving with the 407th Airborne Quartermaster company late 44-45 I look forward to your reply's .thank you.

regards Nick

American troops of WW2 could be seen with just about every possible combination of insignia on uniforms you can think of , both regulation and not so much- I have pics of my grandfathers outfit (65th ID) and my wifes' grandfathers unit (1180th QM Svc Co, 9th AAF) and on guys wearing M43 or for that matter M41s the most common and majority just have rank insignia - with about half of that group seen with a unit patch as well There is even one fella in my wife's grandfathers album who pops up n pictures with OS bars and a service stripe as well besides rank and unit patch on his M43

As a general rule, guys closer to the sharp end tended to wear less insignia (both for security and obvious not to stand out reasons) then guys who were a little further back -

I over answered but - as a general rule, rank most common, with an SSI as well coming in second.

I agree with all the above, I think that majority would be Chevrons or nothing. I did pick this one up and as stated above I thought what the heck....is this

post-87654-0-78189900-1551733579.jpg

Pvt. James H. Honey 1st Md. Eastern shore Vol. Inf. Co. D (union) Gettysburg
Pvt. George Eddie Lear 26th Inf. Co.H 1st Div .(WW1) P.H. WIA Cpl. Richard Elsea 268th C.A. Bn. Battery A. WW2 SSgt. Grant Elsea 314th Inf. Hq.Co. I.R.79thDiv. WW2
Cpl. Harry Lawrence Butler Jr 23rd Regt. WIA Korea Lt. George Olin Tilghman 111th MG. 29th Div. WW1 DIS France 1919
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

I have see a few field jackets with overseas bars on them. Wearing overseas bars on field clothing was not authorized, but it did happen. You can see in the photo these guys are showing no rank or unit insignia but 2 years overseas service.

You have to imagine that to the average WWII soldier being overseas for 2 years was probably a lot more impressive than brand new 2nd Lt bars or Sergeant Stripes.

post-2843-0-11255000-1551735682.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif