USMC vs. Army M1907 Cartridge Belt Color

m1a2u2

Does anyone know if all the USMC M1907 cartridge belts are the same khaki color? It's strange to me that mills produced the Army 1907 belts in the light green but not the marine ones. As you can see, mills also produced the M1912 USMC suspenders in the same light green to the Army cartridge belts. Alec's book mentions that the order to purchase the USMC M1907 belts came with a request for the same number of suspenders. I find it odd that that mills would have filled the USMC order with belts that didnt match the suspenders.

Has anyone ever seen a EGA snap USMC M1907 belt in the light OD color?

post-8903-0-82420900-1551725459_thumb.jpg

post-8903-0-44854900-1551725476_thumb.jpg

post-8903-0-77895700-1551725508_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...
Marchville1918

I once had a set of USMC suspenders that were in the light khaki shade.  that doesn't answer your question about green colored equipment but does confirm that some suspenders matched the khaki belts. this was probably 40 years ago and I didn't realize what I had until long after I traded them off. they came from a dealer named J DeChritstopher who had a lot of gear from that period.

I am not familiar with a Marine specific suspender other than the P1912 one you have shown. Perhaps the information Alec obtained refers to the Marines purchasing suspenders from Army stock piles? We know they used some army equipment of course, most notably for this discussion the first 1903 cartridge belts used by the Marines were army. To my knowledge, the 1907 USMC cartridge belts were all the light tan colored khaki, including the one in my collection. The 10 pocket USMC snap M1910 belt was in “pea green” and that color matches the 1912 suspender. Almost all of the displays I have seen with the M1907 USMC belt use the early Army suspender in the light tan khaki that matches the belt. I suspect the Marines used army suspenders pre 1912. Just my thoughts.

On 8/4/2023 at 1:33 PM, warguy said:

I am not familiar with a Marine specific suspender other than the P1912 one you have shown. Perhaps the information Alec obtained refers to the Marines purchasing suspenders from Army stock piles? We know they used some army equipment of course, most notably for this discussion the first 1903 cartridge belts used by the Marines were army. To my knowledge, the 1907 USMC cartridge belts were all the light tan colored khaki, including the one in my collection. The 10 pocket USMC snap M1910 belt was in “pea green” and that color matches the 1912 suspender. Almost all of the displays I have seen with the M1907 USMC belt use the early Army suspender in the light tan khaki that matches the belt. I suspect the Marines used army suspenders pre 1912. Just my thoughts.

This makes perfect sense. Thank you!