New member from the Buckeye State, and a question

baushaus

Greetings!

I'm sure I'm pretty much a novice at this stuff compared to most here.

I guess I've been a collector of mainly WWII-era items ever since I found a clip for a K98 Mauser still loaded with four rifle rounds stamped with the Nazi Eagle and 1943 at a flea market as a kid. I got more into it when I married my wife - her grandfather was in the 7th Armored Division and once he learned of my interest, he started telling me a lot. I have a few of his items - his bayonet, compass, and duffel bag. I also have the flag from his casket.

One of my grandpas (not a veteran) had a German helmet and a Japanese bayonet that I inherited when he passed. I don't really know why he had them, and didn't know about them before he passed, but they remind me of him none-the-less.

I've picked up other items along the way, but the stuff I treasure most has some connection to someone I know.

A rather distant cousin of mine has started sharing some of his items with me, as he has no descendants and wants to make sure they are cared for and appreciated after he passes. He was an MP in the Vietnam era, as was his brother. He gave me his brother's Purple Heart, the wrappings it was mailed home in, and a framed certificate that he was given.

More recently he gave me a belt buckle that I'd like to learn more about. He (we) have a common ancestor that fought in the Civil War, and while I know this resembles a buckle used then, there are also tons of later models, reproductions, etc. I'd like to know more about this if anyone can help.

I've noticed it has 12 stars - most I've found pictures of have ten, but this has two above each side of the silver crest. I think it's bronze. It has no proof marks that I can see. I have no idea if the red canvas is original to it or not. The catch on the back seems longer than many I've seen pictures of.

Thoughts?

post-220517-0-37213300-1551709439.jpg

post-220517-0-51638300-1551709574.jpg

Welcome to the forum baushaus. Sorry, can't provide any assistance on the belt buckle. I am sure others in the forum will provide some input. Also, you might want to post the photo of the belt buckle in the 18th Century - WWI US Militaria section of the forum for more visibility and potential feedback from forum members. Again, welcome.

Hi! Glad to see another Buckeye State member! Although, I don't often find military anything at flea markets here. ;) Do post your buckle in the 18-Century board. I'm sure someone will know something! Hope to see you post pics of some of the things you mentioned.

I can advertise, as it is run by these same admins --- Please consider joining the World Militaria forum, too - http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/

I'd love to see pics of your original clip find that started you! Always interests me to hear/see what started others on this history/collecting bug!

Hope you learn a lot and have fun!

Elizabeth

Welcome to the forum baushaus. Sorry, can't provide any assistance on the belt buckle. I am sure others in the forum will provide some input. Also, you might want to post the photo of the belt buckle in the 18th Century - WWI US Militaria section of the forum for more visibility and potential feedback from forum members. Again, welcome.

Thanks for the advice. Since I just arrived I didn't want to get "out of bounds" so I appreciate the direction!

ludwigh1980

Welcome to the forum. Belt plate is a model 1851 belt plate for non commissioned officers, U.S. Army. Dates to the American Civil War. (Original). Cloth belt is not regulation and from it's style dates post war possibly 1880's. Regards,

Terry

Thanks for the advice. Since I just arrived I didn't want to get "out of bounds" so I appreciate the direction!

Even new, don't feel nervous! The admins and mods are really nice and they can always help you with direction to the right board! Also, if you post it in the wrong board, they'll move it if it is way off! :) I've done it myself! Lots of room to have some clean fun here!

I'd love to see pics of your original clip find that started you! Always interests me to hear/see what started others on this history/collecting bug!

I hadn't looked at the rounds in a while - they are actually stamped 1938, not '43 as I'd remembered. I can still remember what it felt like to find this and purchase it as a boy. :)

post-220517-0-80040000-1551875878.jpg

post-220517-0-99365300-1551875886.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Belt plate is a model 1851 belt plate for non commissioned officers, U.S. Army. Dates to the American Civil War. (Original). Cloth belt is not regulation and from it's style dates post war possibly 1880's. Regards,

Terry

Thank for this Terry! Judging by the location of the stars, wreath pattern, and some other research, I believe this is the exact one I have - which is interesting because our common ancestor was in an Ohio cavalry regiment as I recall.

http://www.relicman.com/plates/zLibraryPlate.223.Fed.Sword.Pattern623.htm

TrippyKitty77

Wow. I'm not a civil war expert, but I have an affinity for all things with the eagle. I have seen many reproductions of this piece, and only a few authentic (that were unfortunately out of my price range). The belt itself would've originally been leather. There was someone above, and sorry I didn't quite catch who (I'm new too), that said it was the model 1851 which is correct, there was a change to the plates that had the eagle facing right. The silver wreath is a part that goes missing a lot because of the way it is attached. The big thing that makes me want to believe it is authentic is the back of the buckle. All the reproductions I have seen, on this and other buckles, is that the clasps are made out of the wrong material, have the wrong shape, and/or are overfilled around the attachment. It is a gorgeous piece. Congratulations

Wow. I'm not a civil war expert, but I have an affinity for all things with the eagle. I have seen many reproductions of this piece, and only a few authentic (that were unfortunately out of my price range). The belt itself would've originally been leather. There was someone above, and sorry I didn't quite catch who (I'm new too), that said it was the model 1851 which is correct, there was a change to the plates that had the eagle facing right. The silver wreath is a part that goes missing a lot because of the way it is attached. The big thing that makes me want to believe it is authentic is the back of the buckle. All the reproductions I have seen, on this and other buckles, is that the clasps are made out of the wrong material, have the wrong shape, and/or are overfilled around the attachment. It is a gorgeous piece. Congratulations

Thank you for that info. I'm enjoying learning about it, and imagining where it has been and what it has seen!