M1 helmets WW2-Vietnam., rarest of the rare?

usoverlord

Outside of the occasional battle damaged pot that shows up, "what is the most scarce or difficult type of steel pot to find regardless of vintage"? Airborne, medics, Chaplain, MP, Infantry, Marine, Navy ect. ect. ect. Everyone has an opinion and I'd like to hear them.

Real M-2 or real M-2 with a/b insignia painted on it..real M-2 with original airborne cardboard liner.

navy combat demolition unit/ navy beach battalion helmets. the casualty rates, and how the navy repaints previously used helmets make them a holy grail. also the fact that no two were really painted the same

Burning Hazard

Helmets that have actual photographs of them being worn in theatre by the vet; I think these are historically priceless.

Pat

I'm just an observer here, but based upon everything I've seen here and in shows, I would say the Holy Grail of M1 Helmets is an proven M2 in its original configuration, straps, liner, painted insignia etc. and used by an identifiable person in the D-Day jump.

Umm the rarest of the rare is the one you are looking for. After you stop looking for it and you settle for something else it pops up and is bought before you even know about it.

I saw 4 legit M-2's at the SOS alone so, not really rarest of the rare. The rarest helmets are the experimentals but, because so few are interested in them, the prices are low and most collectors yawn at them.

Ike's M1

Rare, of course, but I don't think helmets of specific persons count here -- "what is the most scarce or difficult type of steel pot to find..." emphasis here being on the word "type". Some good answers already given above.

Steve

WWII Parish-Reading with the factory finish and straps.

Now that's a good one. And how about a LINCLOE titanium?

Now that's a good one. And how about a LINCLOE titanium?

Indeed. With maybe 1,000 produced and who knows how many "expended in test", these are super-rare.

Rare, of course, but I don't think helmets of specific persons count here -- "what is the most scarce or difficult type of steel pot to find..." emphasis here being on the word "type". Some good answers already given above.

Steve

Good pick-up Steve

For me, it's Hawley sample liners. I believe they made only 200. My hometown is pretty close to the site of the old Hawley factory. I've visited the surrounding antique stores dozens of times hoping to find one, but no such luck as of yet.