Prototype Rank Insignia

Reforger

I believe this is prototype rank insignia. It is German made, probably by Poellath. I was thinking it could be from the late 1940's because there was some similar prototype rank insignia discussed on this forum (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/148192-experimental-rank-insignia-usaf/). However, I do find it a bit strange that metal rank insignia would have been produced in the late 40's as everything was patches at the time. And it also seems strange that a German company would produce the prototypes. Maybe they actually had a different purpose, who knows.

post-152976-0-97693700-1551629707_thumb.jpg

post-152976-0-43387300-1551629719_thumb.jpg

Metal chevrons for the US Army began to appear around the late 1940s. They were mostly worn on scarves, helmet liners and sometimes on caps. There was a heavy sand cast set used during and after the Korean War.

I have collected US Army chevrons for over 50 years but have never seen these.

Yeah, I didn't even notice the pre-1942 fact, thanks for telling me. If they are prototypes, who knows what ideas and plans the US Military had at the time. By the way, the only metal chevrons I've seen from the late 40's/50's are the super size ones for caps and liners as mentioned above. But it makes sense to have smaller ones for other purposes like scarves. Anyway, these blue and red insignia sure are unusual.