Western USMC Parachutist George Patsko Grouping

mikedon

Bill Walters asked me to post this amazing grouping he recently acquired. I have never even seen one of those knives in person!

Western USMC Parachutist George Patsko Grouping 1-25-19

Grouping from a World War II USMC Parachutist. The Paramarines were an Airborne unit of the US Marine Corps which were formed in 1940 and disbanded in 1944. This grouping is named to PFC. George Patsko and includes his US Marine Corps Parachute School certificate, dated 4 May, 1943. Next is a photo of his parachute school class, a group of Marines wearing their jump wings, a jump platform is visible in the background. The photo was taken at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. The lot also includes his dog tag with a tetanus date of September 1942, listing his serial number #433037. In 1944, when the Paramarine units were disbanded, many of the parachutist qualified Marines were transferred to fighting units within the 5th and 6th Marine Divisions. Newly promoted Corporal Patsko was sent to the 5th Marine Division and went to Iwo Jima with the 1st Battalion, 26th Marines, where he was awarded the Bronze Star medal for heroic achievement on February 26, 1945. He was wounded in action on March 16, 1945. Included in this grouping are his full-color temporary citation signed by Maj. Gen. Thomas E. Bourke Commanding general, his Purple Heart order signed by General Holland M. Smith and his original discharge papers dated October 25, 1945. The discharge lists his qualifications as a "Rifle Sharpshooter" and "Parachutist” and also confirms his service on Iwo Jima from 19 February to 17 March 1945 as well as his wounding on Iwo Jima on 16 March, 1945. In addition to the paperwork, his medals are present. There is a slot brooch Bronze Star medal with ribbon bar and "ruptured duck" discharge pin, as well as a Navy / Marine Corps style (squared case full wrap brooch) Purple Heart medal with wide-style ribbon bar and lapel pin. Last but by no means least is Patsko's original Western No. 31 Parachutist's Knife. These were issued to paramarines and marked near the ricasso "USMC". This one retains its original sheath. The Western No. 31 Parachutist knife is one of the rarest fighting knives of World War II. Near Mint.

post-165606-0-06315600-1551620223_thumb.jpg

post-165606-0-21891300-1551620236.jpg

post-165606-0-18686000-1551620249.jpg

post-165606-0-92445900-1551620380.jpg

post-165606-0-55226900-1551620394_thumb.jpg

While I am always in awe of a grouping such as this (and this is a GREAT one) it always strikes me as bittersweet. The fact that the veteran either had no heirs to pass this onto or his heirs were willing to part with it makes me sad.

Call me a sentimentalist

Art

Catfishcraig

Thank you so much for sharing this grouping. Having a rare knife like the Western USMC Paramarine 31 is amazing in itself, but to have one included with a grouping such as this is extremely rare.

Thanks again

Craig

zzyzzogeton

That is an outstanding grouping.

That's the first clear close up of the original sheath that I've seen. All others have been fuzzy at best.

Im from the Allentown area also..

Awesome grouping - very cool knife and wounded at Iwo and the bronze star!!

I was born in Allentown Pa too

Simply outstanding group!

Weren't the Parachutist knives mostly used during training? I'm sure there are but are there pictures of it being used in combat?

Ken

Bill Walters

Ken,

A couple books have been written on he Paramarines. I am working on getting copies. I am hopeful to get more info.

Bill

• 3 months later...

my uncle was a Paramarine ,he fought on Guadalcanal (company "C"), i am looking to obtain a W31 knife to display with his memorabilia .

His name was Kenneth Parker,and was KIA on 19 feb 45 on IWO JIMA.

If any one knows of a W31 to be sold please contact me.

thank you very much.

my uncle was a Paramarine ,he fought on Guadalcanal (company "C"), i am looking to obtain a W31 knife to display with his memorabilia .

thank you very much.

There is one on ebay #372680248450.

Good luck with it,

Ken

bbmilitaria

How did I miss this thread back in March? A couple of the finest examples I have ever seen. Thank you for showing.

thank you very much.

REZDOG - PM sent