The map is not one of the standard G.S.G.S. Map series or an emergency printing by any of the U.S. Signal Corp Units, so not an official Army map for troop use or tactical purpose. I would guess it was produced as a historical document by anyone of the myriad of publications that have been produced show operations of the Normandy Campaign.

Could you show a close-up of the Legend and the text in the box in the lower right?

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Have seen other period maps printed on german maps before.

appears this was printed by or for Com Z ETO.....

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

AK101,

Good news for you is that the map was printed on the back of a war time German map. This was done because these German maps (probably 1936 publication) were produced on exceptionally stable paper and large stocks were found as formally occupied territory was overrun. Also since your map is based on GSGS 4250 maps, yours was most likely produced by one or another (British or U.S.) Army Field Service organization. I would say that it is WW2 period and was produced as a road map for Allied Forces that were still coming into the ETO via the Normandy area in the late Summer/Fall of 1944.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Persian Gulf Command....I have suddenly run into a problem shrinking pictures. I have always used “shrink pictures.com” but for some reason it won’t allow to use it anymore. So I went to the forum site for shrinking pictures and it said something about downloading an app. Couldn’t do that either. But to answer your question....mine does reproduced August 1943. I have 3 maps like this. 2 for Italy and one for Northern France and Southern Holland and Belgium.

Thanks.

Ronnie

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

John is this what you were looking for. I will try and post more shots if you need them. These maps don’t appear to have been used very much. But I do have a color map of Col Vandervoort’s that is of France Holland and Belgium that was heavily used.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif