Warren McAllister P-51D / T-6 pilots seat

P-59A

I got this from a guy who was restoring a P-51 C. He found the proper seat and lit this one go. It was a little rough and missing a number of bolts and lock nuts. I found period correct ones at an aircraft salvage place. I had the paint mixed using a T-6 seat for a color match. The seat belt is an early post war nylon belt with the box X stitching.

post-169522-0-05141600-1551493666.jpg

post-169522-0-67263300-1551493677.jpg

post-169522-0-01604700-1551493697.jpg

Government Issue

Beautiful piece! As far as padding for the seat is concerned, was that role filled by the pilot's parachute? I've noticed quite a few pilots seats are the bucket type and wondered if that was done so a seat parachute could fill the space? The only thing that makes me think that wasn't the case was the fact that many mustang pilots used the B8 parachute from the images I've seen.

Is the P-51C still in the restoration process? The B and C stangs did the majority of the legwork up and through D-Day as the D models didn't get their in sufficient numbers until later. I love the razorbacks more and apparently they had a bit better flight handling and performance from what I've heard.

Beautiful piece! As far as padding for the seat is concerned, was that role filled by the pilot's parachute? I've noticed quite a few pilots seats are the bucket type and wondered if that was done so a seat parachute could fill the space? The only thing that makes me think that wasn't the case was the fact that many mustang pilots used the B8 parachute from the images I've seen.

Is the P-51C still in the restoration process? The B and C stangs did the majority of the legwork up and through D-Day as the D models didn't get their in sufficient numbers until later. I love the razorbacks more and apparently they had a bit better flight handling and performance from what I've heard.

Gov, The seat pad depends, normally you sat on your parachute and between you and the parachute was a pad that was a tied to the pack and that is conected to the risers that are a part of the harness. When over open water a raft was also snapped on. When The B-8 parachute came out you would still have the harness pad and sit on the raft over open water. The guy doing the P-51 C lives in central Calif and he sent me pics of the project. It will be some time before it's up and flying.

post-169522-0-54799300-1551563740.jpg