Christmas in the Ardennes, 1944

DocCasualty

I’m sure everyone here is more than familiar with The Battle of The Bulge, Hitler’s final counter-offensive. My father served with the 949th FA Bn, which shifted around quite a bit, not being an organic component of any particular Division, Corps or Group within the Third Army. When Gen. Patton turned the Third Army a “hard left” for the race to Bastogne, the 949th had been part of the 193rd FA Group, but was reassigned to the 404th FA Group of the III Corps on 20 Dec 1944 and attached to the 26th Infantry Division. As most know, this had been the coldest winter in Europe in nearly twenty years, accompanied by deep snow, making this drive by the Third Army an amazing feat. As a 155mm Howitzer battalion, the 949th’s assignment was General Support to the Division.

Dad used to tell this story on Christmas Eve when I was growing up. Although I heard it many times, I never seemed to tire of it.

Christmas Eve found them in the Ardennes. The plan was for the Catholic Chaplain to celebrate a Midnight Mass. The fellows located a barn they could use for the service. Being under strict blackout conditions, they had to seal every little crack and crevice in the walls, windows and doors, so no light showed outside. To do so, they scrounged every blanket, extra pair of socks, clothing and anything else they could find. They took a couple of bales of straw and used this for the altar, upon which the priest placed a single candle. As the Mass progressed in this tightly enclosed space, the moisture from everyone’s breath condensed on these bitterly cold walls and roof, instantly freezing into an infinite array of ice crystals. The net effect was this single candle now illuminated the interior of this barn like a huge crystal chandelier. My father described it as an almost mystical aura, as if the Christmas Star itself lit their surroundings. This combined with the setting in this barn or stable made Dad think this certainly must have been like it was to have been there at the manger the night the Christ Child was born.

I’ve thought about that story a lot as the years have gone by. The older I get, the greater my appreciation for what this must have meant for him and the other GI’s who were there that night. There, halfway around the world, in the midst of the fiercest combat and unbelievably harsh conditions most of us will never know was a brief interlude of peace and calm. A time to reflect on what Christmas really means with people who were simply thrown together, forming the tightest of bonds few of us could ever understand.

My kids still ask me to retell this story on Christmas Eve as we celebrate Wigilia, a Chistmas Eve tradition my grandparents brought with them from Poland. I have to admit I still get choked up as it’s one of those times I truly miss Dad and wish he was there to celebrate with us.

"Peace on Earth- Good Will Toward Men”

Let us remain hopeful that one day war will be no more that an academic exercise of discussion. Let us keep all of our Service Men and Women in our thoughts and prayers this Season and hope for their safe return soon.

With that I wish all of you a Merry Christmas!

My kids still ask me to retell this story on Christmas Eve as we celebrate Wigilia, a Chistmas Eve tradition my grandparents brought with them from Poland. I have to admit I still get choked up as it’s one of those times I truly miss Dad and wish he was there to celebrate with us.

Yes, for us Christmas Eve aka Wigilia in Polish is the most important day in Christmas time. In fact we do have three days of Christmas, not one or two as in the other countries. The strongest and the closest family relations are during Wigilia that is why it was so important for your Dad. Wigilia is the most beautiful day in Polish tradition.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Gregory

Dzienkuje, Gregory! Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia i Szczesliwego Nowego Roku! Pardon the lack of accent marks on my keyboard but hopefully my message comes through.

Ken

A beautiful story and I am glad it has been documented and is being passed down through the generations. Hope you had a very Merry Christmas and I wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!