So I found this herd of unicorns...

CTI1610

Terrific! The 3-rocker BM, apothcary and yeoman (later storekeeper) were only authorized 1893-1894. The GM2c is great to see, too, because the embroidered guns are old-school cast cannon. The illustration in the regs showed more modern built-up guns.

Thanks a lot for showing,

Justin B.

Thank you for the nice comments.

For Justin B. — Any chance you’re the Justin B who created the history of rates documentation on uniform-reference.net?

Thank you for the nice comments.

For Justin B. Any chance youre the Justin B who created the history of rates documentation on uniform-reference.net?

You've found me out!

You've found me out!

You did a fantastic job! Lots of information and pretty color pictures, too. Could not ask for more. Thank you for your efforts.

You did a fantastic job! Lots of information and pretty color pictures, too. Could not ask for more. Thank you for your efforts.

I am always glad to hear that it has been useful to someone. Thanks a lot!

MastersMate

In the ' you never throw anything away department'.. When the USN changed the rating badge design in 1894sh, the logistic question come up as to what to do with the old stock. In 1899 / 1900 the Revenue Cutter Service adopted a sleeve rating badge for its mariners. A few of the early photos show, and the 1900 regs bear out that the RCS simply removed the chevron and used the Master at Arms, Quartermaster, Machinist, and their own design for the Coxswain and Bugler. By 1904 photos the RCS was using the USN crow without the chevrons. By 1908/09 the USN style was used, but the chevrons were white and edged with scarlet

MastersMate

Not sure if you'll get enough detail, but, a crew photo from the Revenue Cutter Grant in 1904. The OILER in the upper row has the old style RCS "crow" while the other petty officers wear the "new" RCS style crow. The eagle and specialty mark but no chevrons..

post-162267-0-51118400-1551584050_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing. I hope to one day get a single example for my collection.

. Yeah, when you look at them, they really are sort of ugly. They remind me of that disgusting Fat Parrot we got in 1984. But, again, yeah, would love to stumble on some of these! ?

• 1 year later...