My first mini medal rack! 9 medals to USAF Colonel - WWII/KW/Vn

stratasfan

Thought I would share these on here, as I am rather excited about getting my first mini medals rack (The only mini medals I've gotten so far are ones I've bought from the PX down at Gramma's AFB by her house in FLA). This isa rack to a USAF Colonel who served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. His name is actually written on the back of the case these are in, and I got a bunch of other items from him (Got them from his Son's estate). This rack is actually two bars, each with two clutchbacks.

I don't know if I am going to keep them together or not, but I am thinking that I might separate them to use in other displays.

Click here and you can see a photo of him during WWII!

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/49679577/john-harold-boyle

post-151812-0-82906500-1551395317_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-10073200-1551395326_thumb.jpg

Very nice set. I'll second Tim, they are addictive. I would seriously consider not taking this set apart. If they were a set of loose, then do what you will. The attributed mini sets are hard to come by because by nature, they are easily put together. You have a tangible piece of this man's life and history in your hands coupled with the image of him...quite something to be the caretaker of. My $.02....The set and the combination are excellent, the original Lautenberg case is the best. I'm glad you have this as your first set.....its a goodie.

Oh, how cool . . . do you think that case is what they came in? Is Lautenberg a company that made mini medal racks? I figured he had them in a case from something else.

Maybe I will have to keep them together. I really haven't given it much thought, as I just got them and it has been a crazy week! Last Firday night, a drunk (and more) driver went through our front yard (horizontally) and took out five (being half of a privacy hedge) of 10 foot tall lilacs, zipped between our parked car and a telephone pole (sending lilac debris onto the car which has damage now) and plowed through the other half of the yard to crash through our very old 18 foot tall privet hedge, tearing a huge section away and going airborne across part of the neighbors' yard to land with a thud and roll across the whole rest of their yard. And we live in the country, so you are talking hundreds of feet of road-front yard damage. So, I'm afraid we have been just trying to deal with her insurance company to see about repair and replacement. I've hardly had any time to do anything else!

Love the mention of the case. Really . . . that is how they came? I think this is cool!

Lautenberg is probably the business that mounted them.

Careful with the drunk driver...I had one flip in my front yard Jan 2016...was subpoenaed for the case in Dec 2016...which has been appealed somehow, and they have been sending my subpoenas ever since...as a matter of fact I got my 20th or 30th today

Thanks for the info about both things!

I am really happy with the medals so far. Actually, getting all the stuff was in multiple lots. I got the mini medals for $10, so figured that a$1.11 a medal wasn't bad, thinking to separate them. Now I'll think about it. :)

The firm is Lauterstein's, a uniform/military accouterments company in San Antonio, TX. The city used to have one large Army installation and five Air Force bases, a large clientele base. There were many of these firms in SA at one time: Sol Frank, Sugarman's, etc. The bulk of their business was tailor-made officers uniforms but they also sold caps, insignia, custom-made ribbon pads, miniature medals -- virtually everything you would need. I believe most of them are now long gone.