MoH found in house, your thoughts ?

m1903

Ship the MoH to me. I live in the Netherlands, Hahaha.

Then I will clean it, reribbon it and put a nice topic full with pictures on the forum.

Oh, and you will all hate me for it.

Cheers guys, don't beat the dead horse too much this time.

Herman

As a taxpayer, I would hate to think the good ol' FBI would drop their national security investigations to swoop down and confiscate this medal. I cannot image that this is a high priority for them.

And, Fike again demonstrates his ignorance. I've got no information that Wood received his MoH from Lincoln. The original recipients got theirs from Stanton with a later visit to Lincoln. Not sure if there even was any ceremony for Wood or the other late GLC recipients. I believe many of them were simply mailed to the recipients.

BTW, one of the more recent books I have read on the GLC has a fascinating account of Wood's float down the Chatahoochie (?) river to the Gulf of Mexico. Especially interesting is how he woke up one morning, after putting ashore at night, and finding himself surrounded by creatures unknown to him, but later ID'd as alligators!!! Amazing.

I do believe this may be the original MoH to Wood as the engraving is similar to Parrott's found here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/278217-army-moh-engraving-formats-1860s-1880s/?hl=%2Bmoh+%2Bengraving+%2Bformats

If I had any say in the matter, I'd see that it got to the Toledo, OH museum, Toledo being his home of record and where he is buried. Just saying...….