MoH found in house, your thoughts ?

m1903

I think if they are serious about donating and making sure it’s preserved instead of profiting off it, more power to them

I think if they are serious about donating and making sure it’s preserved instead of profiting off it, more power to them

I'm sure that not long after this story was published, the FBI came calling to tell them they literally have no choice but to give it up. Selling, or even possessing it is illegal (with rare exceptions).

The recipient of this medal was part of Andrew's Raiders https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Locomotive_Chase

Will the FBI actually confiscate the medal? I was under the assumption that you could possess the medal but not buy/sell it. The exception being the HLP manufactured medals that "found" their way out of supply somehow/someway....these are considered un-issued medals.

Will the FBI actually confiscate the medal? I was under the assumption that you could possess the medal but not buy/sell it. The exception being the HLP manufactured medals that "found" their way out of supply somehow/someway....these are considered un-issued medals.

We have had many long threads about the legality of MOH's - rather than start a new one, here's a good take on this: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/119157-medal-of-honor-buyingsellingpossession/

I'd bet this MOH is considered a "purchase" because it was part of the contents of the house they apparently purchased.

This is an incredible find, if original. However, with the significance of Andrew's Raid there's always the possibility it's a fake. If it's good it really does belong in a museum, preferably the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History (where the General is located).

If I found that medal no one would have ever known it existed ;)

right?! kinda like the people that found all those gold coins in CA a few years back..come forward forfeit treasure..

I think they ought to nicely polish it all up, re-ribbon it with one of those ribbons off a Dixie Gun Works fake MoH they used to sell, then present it to the FBI.

This could legally go to a family member, but who would determine which member? Someone born before the Civil War must have many, many dozens of kin, from direct descendants to great-great-great nieces and nephews and distant cousins many times removed.

Just after I wrote the above paragraph, I checked for updates to this story and sure enough there's a third-generation nephew and fourth-generation niece.

fike.jpg

right?! kinda like the people that found all those gold coins in CA a few years back..come forward forfeit treasure..

Except the couple that found the gold coins in California got to keep them.

Just after I wrote the above paragraph, I checked for updates to this story and sure enough there's a third-generation nephew and fourth-generation niece.

Looks like the family is doing the right thing donating to a museum. This way many people will be able to see the medal and appreciate its' history.

Comments such as re-ribboning with fake items does not help show collectors in a good light.

Kat

I would like to know how far down the family tree Fike is willing to go to find relatives for some of these medals. 18th cousin , 75 times removed? At some point it become irrelevant.

Kurt

I would expect there are many other living relatives of similar ancestry as the two mentioned who would very interested in the medal IF it is real and IF the feds let the family have it.

Of course PHR is more than happy to help, the more positive press coverage the better.

I have a question, how did CPT Fike get to be Colonel (of either flavor light or bird)? Last I saw he aseared to be a rather junior Captian. Just askin'.

Mike

Interesting story. Way back in the 1980s when it was not illegal to buy,sell or trade a MOH, I recall that an Andrew;s Raider MOH had turned up for sale in the Tampa-St. Pete Florida area. All I recall was that it was a collector????? No recollection of awardee's name. Just reporting an old memory. Bobgee

I have a question, how did CPT Fike get to be Colonel (of either flavor light or bird)? Last I saw he aseared to be a rather junior Captian. Just askin'.

Mike

why say his name of mention his org? you know he gets off on it.