Toy M1 Helmet or Liner

• 1 year later...

Nifty Toy: http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-YD-painted-Hawley...emZ160332799877 The seller of this Hawley liner says this about it:

This is an original Hawley helmet liner with an interesting provinance. It's an estate piece that belonged the a WWI vet who was a medic in the 102nd infantry division. I'll be selling several of his other items in seperate auctions. Liner and other items belonged to Jack M. Geaumann. I'm guessing he wore this liner in parades just prior to or at the breakout of WWII. The liner is strangly painted on the outside. It has the divisions "YD" logo in blue in fron. Inside is in excellent condition. All the "A" washers and webbing look excellent. Liner has a strange headband I've never seen before. It is definatly period. Nothing on this liner has been touched since the early 1940s.

To his credit, I don't really think he's aware that this is a messed with toy liner. Sad... we now have messed with toy's... will the helmet fakers never stop?! w00t.gif

hawleyliner001.jpg

_BRt40o__2k___KGrHgoOKiUEjlLmV48_BJ_feQuhew___1.jpg

32a1_1.jpg

aaaaaaaaabullets075.jpg

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."

I probably should add these photo's for comparison sake:

post_5_1172596228.jpg

post_415_1193093195.jpg

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."

perplexed

First let me say this forum is a 5 STAR RESOURCE! Newbie to forum but I have lurked here for hours researching a small group of militaria for Ebay so I don't misrepresent (real shame about Ebay fakers). Of all the places Google took me I kept coming back here.

I registered because I was lost trying to id this liner. Thx to ALL you guys for all the info, pix and links you so generously share. I finally clicked on posts here to fakes,toys and Hollywood liners (Thank you man860).

I'm posting pix, feel free to right click/ save. Is there a pinned reference link on Fakes, Toys and Reproductions here that I missed? If not you are welcome to my pix.

It's marked MSA 25 (5 is smaller than the 2), but the ROUND "O" ATTACHMENT WASHERS (look like rusty metal are PLASTIC), PAPERY FIBER REMNANTS for inside suspension and too few RIVETS (only three on each side) threw me.

I have a vibrating metal marking tool and I'll mark the inside as such before listing as a toy/prop. Regards, Rebecca

post-6455-1241716126.jpg

post-6455-1241716171.jpg

post-6455-1241716230.jpg

post-6455-1241716416.jpg

Dirt Detective

Great post..he is so sure of this helmet liner he says this.

"It is definatly period. Nothing on this liner has been touched since the early 1940s."

This shows why e have to buy the item not the story. Thanks for the post.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

316th FS 324th FG

Wow I am not so sure he isnt aware, he says he is:

From the auction:

Question & Answer Answered On

Q: Hi, Your Hawley liner was actually a toy. They used to spray the speckled paint on these Hawleys liners that didn't pass inspection for the military and then they put pictures of tanks and airplanes on the areas of the liner where the speckled paint has been rubbed off on your liner. The odd sweat band you see was used on the toy versions sold to the general market. This liner was never used in combat or parades. It was used by kids. Why someone cleaned it off and then added a Yankee Division insignia is anyones guess. Thought you might like to know so as to update your auction. May-07-09

A: Hi, I know what this helmet is. I had it discussed in a military forum recently. I got it out of an estate myself with many items belonging to a WWI vet. It was painted by the WWI vet I mentioned. I never said it was worn in combat. I'm selling other items of his on other auctions and they have the "YD" all over them. I have his WWI helmet which has the liner detached which is why he probebly picked this helmet up to wear in parades. There were a lot of parades at the outbreak of WWII that included heros of WWI. So you see, it's not "anyones guess". This helmet is an original artifact painted by a "YD" veteran of WWI. Hope this clears things up.

danshanower.jpg

R.I.P. Commander Dan Shanower, KIA 9/11/01

"Freedom Isn't Free" US Naval Institute, Proceedings, 1997

donation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif

What an idiot. The helmet had a relevant history as a home front childs toy made from either rejects or overstock. Now it is not worth anything. Someone needs to slap the stupid off him.

Wow I am not so sure he isnt aware, he says he is:

From the auction:

Question & Answer Answered On

Q: Hi, Your Hawley liner was actually a toy. They used to spray the speckled paint on these Hawleys liners that didn't pass inspection for the military and then they put pictures of tanks and airplanes on the areas of the liner where the speckled paint has been rubbed off on your liner. The odd sweat band you see was used on the toy versions sold to the general market. This liner was never used in combat or parades. It was used by kids. Why someone cleaned it off and then added a Yankee Division insignia is anyones guess. Thought you might like to know so as to update your auction. May-07-09

A: Hi, I know what this helmet is. I had it discussed in a military forum recently. I got it out of an estate myself with many items belonging to a WWI vet. It was painted by the WWI vet I mentioned. I never said it was worn in combat. I'm selling other items of his on other auctions and they have the "YD" all over them. I have his WWI helmet which has the liner detached which is why he probebly picked this helmet up to wear in parades. There were a lot of parades at the outbreak of WWII that included heros of WWI. So you see, it's not "anyones guess". This helmet is an original artifact painted by a "YD" veteran of WWI. Hope this clears things up.

Yeah, that was my email to him when I had the mistaken impression that he wasn't aware of what he was selling. Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished. ;)

These toy helmet confuse many new helmet collectors but, I'm glad you were able to find your answers here! Proof that the forum actually helps people. :lol: Here's a link to another toy liner thread of interest: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=42455&hl=

I have a vibrating metal marking tool and I'll mark the inside as such before listing as a toy/prop. Regards, Rebecca

actually it's best to leave the liner "as is" using a permanent marking tool destroys it's originality

maybe a collector likes colleting play liners because he use to have one as a child and lost it, marking it would be defacing it, collectors like leaving things as found.

KASTAUFFER
Yeah, that was my email to him when I had the mistaken impression that he wasn't aware of what he was selling. Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished. ;)

I would say if he KNEW it was a toy helmet why didnt he mention that in his description? Seems like that should have been disclosed in the description . I can buy the fact the WWI vet wore it and have no problem with that. It needed to be described as WWII TOY HAWLEY helmet worn by a WWI vet. He did add the emailed comments to the description which is a good thing.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

perplexed
actually it's best to leave the liner "as is" using a permanent marking tool destroys it's originality

maybe a collector likes colleting play liners because he use to have one as a child and lost it, marking it would be defacing it, collectors like leaving things as found.

I was thinking of using an engraving tool inside the liner just so someone else can't resell as real. I see posts here about Ebay fakers. thumbdown.gif

craig_pickrall

I have merged all of the topics on original military helmets or liners that were converted to toys. There are also helmets that were made as toys from the beginning. You will find these topics in the HOMEFRONT SECTION.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

• 11 years later...

A recent photo find, a WWII GI stateside in one of the summer months, unit unknown, we see a shoulder patch, but it's indiscernible, year 43 or 44. Talk about your studio props 157288171_emoticonlaugh.png.08d72b6948a93e0b3af56589007a0906.png, His helmet liner looks like a toy, no front grommet do we see nor a front rivet, and his U.S. Rifle is in fact a German M1888 Mauser. with Bayonet, Bayonet in Scabbard.

image.png.5578c5eae28d7c8d9b1c1dbec06e267c.png

An assortment of the various bayonets that were compatible with the M1888 Mauser.

image.png.a610e7e450e96209de06b75455d05ca6.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.