Questions on valuing a KIA USMC Iwo Jima grouping

chils123

Hello gents,

I usually post over in the Spoils of War section, but I had a questions about something that was offered to me.

A gentleman I purchase Arisaka's from offered me a neat grouping he picked up at a garage sale years ago.

It's a large number of papers related to a Marine who was killed during the fighting on Iwo Jima. It included the Western Union telegram to his family after he was killed, dozens of letters and V-Mails (many "returned to sender" after his passing), photos, and other such items.

It did not include any medals, uniforms, or the such. It was mostly ephemera.

I didn't take photos, as I didn't want to be disrespectful of the gentleman offering them and I didn't realize at the time he was ready to sell them. I can find out more information from him.

How does one determine the value of such a set? He was looking for $700. Obviously without more information it's hard for you folks to determine a value, but I figured I'd start to get an idea and try to get some photos of the grouping. This would fit in well with my focus on the PTO.

Again, thank you all for your time.

With all due respect, this is like getting a haircut by telephone.

Without pictures, at least an inventory of what is there would be helpful. How many letters? What is the subject matter of the photos? Are they field photos, or from R&R, training, etc? I’m not sure what “other such items” mean - if it’s dry cleaning receipts, minimal value. If it includes an original Navy Cross citation, different story.

Sorry, I do want to be helpful, but most folks will want more detail before giving an over / under on value.

easterneagle87

It seems a little much for "just" papers. BUT.... how many of these groupings are becoming available? How much original materials come to light? The members here are pretty good with advice. IF you REALLY want it, then it's a no brainer. Value is in the eye of the bebolder (not beholder, as the bold do what they are going to do). I don't have the budget, so I'm just throwing paint at the wall. It does seem a bit much. As I live by, You can always ask for less and they can always tell you NO. Good luck.

Thanks gentleman.

I do stand guilty as charged for trying to figure a value with no photos.

I suppose my main question was really can a set of papers related to a KIA Marine be worth that much money, as it seems a lot without anything else. I kind of wanted to form a base before I get the gentleman to photograph these items for me, to see if it is even partially worth the time. Most valuable sets I read about here have the Marine's medals or uniforms to go with the paper items. I do know this set had a large 3 ring binder full of items.

Blacksmith, thank you for the comment too about what the rest of the items were. I didn't even think about citations for awards.

A couple of years ago, the market for Marine KIA PHs peaked...and then dropped back down. I'm pretty much with the other posters that the content of what's there will drive the price, but these days, unless there's something really interesting in the paperwork, a price around $400-$450 may be much more in line.

Not completely sure on price but I think Dave is on point with the value. Iwo Jima is one of the most collcted and sought after battles to collect so this group will be desired more by USMC collectors.

Jacob

Kurt Barickman

In reality, Iwo Jima gets the notoriety but battles like Tarawa, Bougainville, Guadalcanal, Saipan, etc. are far more rare than Iwo.

Kuirt

You really need to know what's there to come up with a value. It only takes one or two desirable items, like an original Iwo Jima invasion map, to make it a valuable grouping.

It's all about what's in there.

Exactly.

Add Peleliu to that list.

In reality, Iwo Jima gets the notoriety but battles like Tarawa, Bougainville, Guadalcanal, Saipan, etc. are far more rare than Iwo.

Kuirt

Raidercollector

Kuirt

You can add

Roi Numar

Tulagi

New Georgia

Bataan

Makin

Eniwetok

Wake

Ebon

Talasea

Rendova

Vella Lavella

Midway

There is more , These are much Rarer than Iwo Jima. But every one wants Iwo Jima

Simon Lerenfort

It seems almost obscene to talk about value and that the fallen of one battle should be valued more richly than another. However these items would have a reasonable value and in the right auction I have no doubt that they could easily fetch $200-300 if not more. A Kia Western Union telegram relating to a KIA would make over $100 on its own.

What ever the price I hope this group finds a good home with someone who will appreciate it for what it is.