WWII Veteran Statistics Questions

ViewfinderGyrene

ViewfinderGyrene

Afternoon all,

I need some stats for a college project and believe this would be a far better place to find what I am looking for than Google.

1-How many Marines were in the ranks during WWII?

2-How many Marine combat deaths were there in the war? [from Pearl Harbor to Okinawa Mop-Up approximately]

3-Approximately how many individuals are known to have an American WWII veteran in their family?

4-What percentage of total US troops engaged in combat did the Marine Corps represent?

5-Approximately how many total personnel were engaged in combat over the course of the war [all theaters]

6-Approximately how many WWII veterans remain living?

Best regards and thanks in advance!

-VFG

Here some numbers I found for you. I dont know if they are 100% accurate though so you may want to cross reference them with multiple sources.

1. There were about 485,000 in the ranks by the end of the war. Around 660,000 during the entire course of war.

2. Marines KIA during the war = 24,511

3. I would say every American whose family was in the US during the war had at least member of their immediate or extended family serving. 11% of the population at the time served.

5. Roughly 16 million Americans served in armed forces during the war. At least 40% were rear echelon assignments but could be more.

6. Roughly 500,000 still alive as of Sept 2018

• 3 weeks later...

Your welcome, I got each stat from various Google searches. Not sure of the actual websites. Also cant be sure 100% that they are accurate, but probably close approximations. I would probably check online to see if multiple sources show the same or similar statistic before including it in your project.

I'll try to remember this weekend to go online and find the websites I found before and will PM them over to you.