New Member - Vietnam Vet, ASMIC Mbr, 1st PTG patches

1CDarty

Hello Militaria:

My dad was career Army, as was I. Dad was a Coast Artilleryman on Guadalcanal; Vietnam was my war. I served in the 2/19th FA in the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), 1970-71. My highlight was the time I worked with the outstanding troopers of 2/7th Inf (Garryowen).

In the early 1950's my dad was stationed at the Presidio of SF, and I bought a shoebox of Army patches at the thrift shop...adding to a small collection of patches I had from cereal boxes (patches were cereal prizes at that time). 50 years later I got out that shoebox and started organizing a collection. I joined ASMIC, and look forward to each issue of the "Trading Post." I especially like Army shoulder patches that were WORN by soldiers - the more thread hanging off the patch, the better.

In that shoebox were 3 patches worn, I believe, by a soldier assigned to the 1st Provisional Tank Group in the CBI theater. Researching the 1PTG is how I stumbled onto this Militaria Forum.

I look forward to learning more on this forum.

1CDarty

Thank you for asking.

My dad was with F Battery, 3rd Battalion, 244th Coast Artillery Regiment. In February of 1943, after Guadalcanal was under US control, his unit was re-designated 259th Coast Artillery Battalion (Separate), and assigned to the Americal Division for the remainder of the war on the Pacific.

Thank you for asking.

My dad was with F Battery, 3rd Battalion, 244th Coast Artillery Regiment. In February of 1943, after Guadalcanal was under US control, his unit was re-designated 259th Coast Artillery Battalion (Separate), and assigned to the Americal Division for the remainder of the war on the Pacific.

I have always thought the Coast Arty was forgotten, especially in the Pacific.

As I studied the units involvement in the fighting on Guadalcanal, I learned that the 244th coast artillery (while also engaging targets off the coast) played a large role in taking out Japanese ground based artillery units that had inflicted a lot of damage on US Marines. The 244th was awarded a Navy Presidential Unit Citation (signed by Frank Knox, Sec of Navy). If you ae interested I have a copy of the unit history recorded by the 244th during their time leading up to and on Guadalcanal.