Documents/Photos 3rd RANGER Co & 187th Airborne Infantry Reg. RAKKASANS

Mr. Scratch

(EDIT - accidentally put in "2nd Ranger Co" in the headline instead of 3rd Ranger. Can this be fixed?)

Okay, so this collection documents the early career of one Sgt. Truman L. Beddingfield when he was with the 3rd Ranger Co. in Korea, and then the 187th AIR (Rakkasans) in Korea and Japan. There is an extraordinary photo album that features hundreds of photographs of life in the field and barracks, (including airborne ops and their mascot bear Rocky). Various certificates and medals awarded to Beddingfield, unit photographs of the 3rd Ranger Co., albums and souvenir books for the 187th, later newsletters and writings from the 3rd Ranger Co. veterans group...and a large wooden sign from the 1st Ranger Co, that I'm told was one of the company's original HQ signs from Korea. (Does anybody have a pic of 1st Ranger Co. HQ in Korea from the day? Maybe we could find it!)

post-3113-0-54453400-1551154706_thumb.jpg

riflegreen297

Looks like this was taken a Camp Carson, as it looks like Cheyenne Mountain in the background.

Informal group pic of 3rd Ranger Co (one of two group photos, the formal one is in rough shape)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys. So, it turns out a previous owner of this grouping from many years ago held back a helmet because it looked good on the shelf. I've had individual elements of the helmet checked out here by photos to confirm it is right, it is a M1C late-war shell with a Korean War M1C liner. It's named and the shell has a very nice 187th ABN decal under lacquer on the right side (I haven't shown this here, I'd rather have it securely in-hand first). All in excellent condition. Looks to be some sort of parade or inspection helmet, definitely not a field-wear piece.

Problem is, it's a touch pricey for a post-war M1C, a little more than $300. Normally I would probably pass, but given the connection to the rest of the grouping, it seems like it might be worth paying a premium to get this set completed again. It isn't every day you come across a grouping that includes a helmet. I'm of two minds. Is it worth the added cost? Should I say thanks but no thanks? Should I bargain a little harder?

[Taps microphone; "Hello? Hello? Is this thing on?"]

Meh, I'm just going to go ahead and get the helmet. The idea of someone else snapping it up and forever separating it from it's grouping is too stressful for me.

• 2 months later...
Captainofthe7th

I am just seeing this now and sent you a PM, but have to comment as well that this is a terrific group and happy to see you got the helmet as well. The Cold Steel Third is an incredible book and probably the best unit history I have ever seen. Any 3d Ranger Co group becomes even more incredible after giving that a read through.

Congratulations on keeping this together.

Rob

Captainofthe7th

Looks like this was taken a Camp Carson, as it looks like Cheyenne Mountain in the background.

Yes this is mid-February 1951 at Cp Carson.

Problem is, it's a touch pricey for a post-war M1C, a little more than $300. Normally I would probably pass, but given the connection to the rest of the grouping, it seems like it might be worth paying a premium to get this set completed again. It isn't every day you come across a grouping that includes a helmet. I'm of two minds. Is it worth the added cost? Should I say thanks but no thanks? Should I bargain a little harder?

Also just seeing this now -- sorry, I am too excited about the quality of this group and connection to my own research into 3d Ranger Co. I came to this thread through your other topic about getting the helmet, so that's settled, but I don't think you had to bargain at all at this price. To keep it together is well worth that price...I think it's super fair.

Rob

A very impressive 187th and 3rd Ranger grouping..

Some of the 187th booklets that you show are quite hard to find..

Glad to hear that the helmet was also reunited with this grouping..

I will echo what Rob has said about the 3rd Ranger Co. Unit History Cold Steel Third.. I have this book in my reference book collection and it is a massive book with great photos and information...

Congratulations on a great grouping

Leigh

Just want to add the link and pic the the helmet, in case anyone comes across this thread in the distant future while doing research on the 187th. The shell and liner both have Beddingfield's name and serial number written in them in yellow paint.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/334807-187th-airborne-paratrooper-m1d-with-dui-decal/

post-3113-0-56561900-1573410937_thumb.jpg

Also, going over the Camp Carson 3rd Ranger informal photo just now - this section is really great. Partly because dogs always make for a better picture. But also, it goes to show how a poorly-timed yawn can forever become part of a unit's historic record. :lol:

post-3113-0-65410600-1573418954_thumb.jpg