Korean War era 187th jacket patch

mortaydc60

Can't speak to the unit as I don't know army, but as far as manufacture the first 4 are Japan made, the fifth looks Taiwan. The second and third are on pre-stitched material, which really didn't show up until the later mid 50s, and more prevalent from the late 50s on. Only #4 looks like it could be a KW era one, but it could also be later. The Taiwan one would be late 60s on.  Hopefully this helps date these. As far as glow, that's another battle. I have many vet worn patches I was given the do glow due to being washed. Lots of late 40s/early 50s Japan made patches on the USAF side have some synthetic thread. I know that's a big issue for some, but when I get them right from the vet I know what I'll believe!

You are talking about this one correct?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ORIGINAL-KW-ERA-UN-ABN-187TH-RCT-ANGELS-FROM-HELL-PATCH-F-EMB/303717842849?hash=item46b6fe7fa1:g:f80AAOSw7j5ffd3P

s-l1600 (14).jpg

s-l1600 (13).jpg

Yes, that tight cheesecloth backing is a hallmark from there. But with that close up, I would say 1980s era. I've have some from the Philippines that have some of these same trade marks as well as far as the loose stitching to make it look fully embroidered. No way that's a 50s piece.

Randy

1 hour ago, Randy said:

Yes, that tight cheesecloth backing is a hallmark from there. But with that close up, I would say 1980s era. I've have some from the Philippines that have some of these same trade marks as well as far as the loose stitching to make it look fully embroidered. No way that's a 50s piece.

Randy

You nailed it, the quality certainly changed from the 50s to the 80s. This definitely looks 80s to me as well 

Hi Randy

Could you clarify WHERE the tight cheesecloth backing is a hallmark from? Thanks. This is not too scientific but I think there is a distinct difference in blacklight reaction from washing and patch that is made with synthetic material. I have never had a period KW era patch glow. Just my observations.

14 hours ago, Randy said:

Randy

Hi Morty, we were talking about the 5th patch, which I said earlier was most likely from Taiwan. Look around the outside edges on the back. The corresponding light blue twill base on the opposite side is also a bit coarse, another hint to a Taiwan made patch. As far as that whole black light thing, its a gray area to me. There are exceptions to most everything in this hobby, and it is almost never black and white. It can be helpful, but not the end-all. Material washed in phosphates can alter the properties of the cloth to glow as well. I'm sure that has been discussed a lot already. As I said, I get a lot of patches directly from vets, and about 10 years ago a friend brought his black light over so we could see what showed up. While for the majority it worked good, there were way too many it did not, mostly Japan made. So, to me, just a tool to possibly help, but not the final word. Just my thoughts!

Randy

Does anyone have a period photo of this patch being worn in Korea?  I haven't been able to locate any online, just a ton of photos showing the regulation patch.

Thanks Randy,very helpful as usual. Yes a great tool(blacklight) and no question helps more than it hurts to have in arsenal.