Bookoo bar USN shooting badge, minis and portrait, CO USS Astoria on 12/7/41

aerialbridge

Ending this afternoon (Monday, 2/25/19) on ebay is an amazing group, both for the number of bars on the shooting badge (most I've ever seen on an ebay shooting badge) and having a portrait of the recipient wearing it. Pretty neat for any war room. No, I don't know the seller in Virginia. "When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on the morning of 7 December, Astoria was some 700 mi (1,100 km) west of Hawaii steaming toward Midway with TF 12." Preston Haines was relieved of command a week later, due to health issues, having been c.o. just a year. I believe he earned the Yangtze in 1930 when he was XO of the old armored cruiser Pittsburgh, then flag of the Asiatic Fleet. Probably from recent estate sale of Haines III who passed away last March in South Carolina and Haines IV or whoever had this group apparently didn't want to keep it or the Silver Star certif. to Haines Jr. from WW2, also for sale. Amazing when families with this kind of navy history choose to give up things like this for a few bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1907-Navy-Midshipmen-Expert-Sharpshooter-Medal-Grand-Army-of-The-Republic-Pin/352597854149?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

post-18406-0-29331500-1551079177_thumb.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Up for auction is a US Navy Midshipmen Expert Sharpshooter Pin. Backs of bars that do not have date plates are all engraved. Pins and ribbons came from the estate of Captain Preston B. Haines "Pret". Dates are from 1907 to 1911.

1907 Navy Midshipmen Expert Sharpshooter Medal & Grand Army of The Republic Pin
Condition: Used
Ended: Feb 25, 2019, 05:18:29 PM PST
Price: US $1,058.89

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

Sold for a fair price in my honest opinion. Besides the photo, I love these badges. Ive wish I still had the two I sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new amazing badge with even more amazing history Mr. Sweazy.

Thank you, I looking forward to it.

Thank you, I looking forward to it.

Congrats, I think you did very well. I don't think you'll see another one to an officer, with that many bars (never seen one for sale) and with an original studio portrait of the recipient wearing the medal come up again anytime soon. In fact, you have two photos of Haines wearing his shooting badge. Here's one when it was just a baby badge from the Lucky Bag. And you are lucky, I have two or three to midshipman, but none of them chose to wear it for their annual photo as Haines did.

post-18406-0-10848100-1551262600_thumb.jpg

Congrats, I think you did very well.  I don't think you'll see another one to an officer, with that many bars (never seen one for sale) and with an original studio portrait of the recipient  wearing the medal come up again anytime soon.   In fact, you have two photos of Haines wearing his shooting badge.  Here's one when it was just a baby badge from the Lucky Bag.   And you are lucky, I have two or three to midshipman, but none of them chose to wear it for their annual photo as Haines did.

I agree, while I was searching ancestry I found that photo and this one. I had seen another one of these badges for sale last year I think and it had 2 times the amount of bars.

Posted Image

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, aactionjim said:

I don't know if anybody got back to you but here is the medal.

Old USMC badge obsolete.png

Yup, still have yet to see one of these in somebody’s collection as of yet.