Theater Made (Vietnam )

SammyT

I'm not a Vietnam era collector and needed some help identifying what I have here. I know some are definitely Theater Made but wanted to get some expert advise on these patches as far as what they are, who wore them and rarity/collectability. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Sammy T.

post-12695-0-81311400-1551045691_thumb.jpg

post-12695-0-10441800-1551045701_thumb.jpg

The SVN flag and 366 TFW are SVN made. the 343 is Japan made, and the 101 AD is Thai made. The rest look old US made. All are USAF SAC related except the 101 which is Army, and the 366 TFW which was Pacific Air Forces and flew F-4s. The flag could have been used by anyone.

Randy

None are rare as I define it, but all are nice. The 366 TFW is about the best AF one in there and probably worth the most. I know nothing about army to comment on that one though. The 343 is a nice example as well.

The 376th Bombardment Wing and the 376 OMS would be in Kadena Air Base Okinawa Japan.

The 376 OMS and the Master Crew Chief patch are also possible matches.

From the 1960’s to their inactivation in 1992 the 306th Bombardment Wing was home based in one of the following; McCoy AFB Florida, Ramstein AB West Germany, or RAF Mildenhall England. However while stationed at McCoy there were forward groups of B52’s in Vietnam in the 60’s-70’s, and they may have even stopped over in Kadena.

During that time frame F-4 Phantoms would be under the umbrella of the Tactical Air Command.

The 343rd Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron would be home based at Offutt Air Force base Omaha Nebraska from the mid 60’s to present.

Both the 376th and the 306th would have temporary attachments of RC-135’s on station at different times in Kadena, Ramstein, and Mildenhall and that’s a highly likely way to find members of the 343 SRS on site in those locations.

It can be very hard to piece together facts from a grouping of patches alone. The owner of these patches could have been assigned all over the place, or may have come by all of these just from being stationed in Okinawa. Still the real story could be something else also.

The 376th Bombardment Wing and the 376 OMS would be in Kadena Air Base Okinawa Japan.

The 376 OMS and the Master Crew Chief patch are also possible matches.

From the 1960’s to their inactivation in 1992 the 306th Bombardment Wing was home based in one of the following; McCoy AFB Florida, Ramstein AB West Germany, or RAF Mildenhall England. However while stationed at McCoy there were forward groups of B52’s in Vietnam in the 60’s-70’s, and they may have even stopped over in Kadena.

During that time frame F-4 Phantoms would be under the umbrella of the Tactical Air Command.

The 343rd Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron would be home based at Offutt Air Force base Omaha Nebraska from the mid 60’s to present.

Both the 376th and the 306th would have temporary attachments of RC-135’s on station at different times in Kadena, Ramstein, and Mildenhall and that’s a highly likely way to find members of the 343 SRS on site in those locations.

It can be very hard to piece together facts from a grouping of patches alone. The owner of these patches could have been assigned all over the place, or may have come by all of these just from being stationed in Okinawa. Still the real story could be something else also.

Lots of misinformation above. The 376 Bomb Wing shown above was at Lockbourne AFB, OH. It was Inactivated in 1965. The 376 Strategic Wing was activated at Kadena in 1970. The 306 BW (M) (note (M) on patch above) was a B-47 unit at MacDill AFB. In 1963 the 306 moved to McCoy and took over the 4047 SW with B-52s, becoming the 306 BW (Heavy). The 343 SRS has always been part of the 55 SW. The 55th, not the 306/376 were the ones who deployed RC-135s worldwide. Finally, PCS units of F-4s (or whatever fighter) would be part of PACAF, not TAC. I'm not trying to be combative, just want the record straight as there is enough bad info out there already. The owner of these, if they are from one person's career, reflect several base/unit changes.

Randy

Randy, thanks for the clarification. And yes, all patches came from the same individual. Not sure how the 101st plays a part in his Air Force service though.

I think the 101st is the pick of the litter. What is on the top scroll?

The top scroll says "BILK MAINTENANCE" . not sure what that means.

Sammy T.

The top scroll says "BILK MAINTENANCE" . not sure what that means.

Sammy T.

OK, that may explain it. I thought it read BUK. Bilk was a forward air controller of USAF O-1s and later O-2s dedicated to supporting the 101 ABD. In 1968, they were based at Phouch Vinh, SVN, and maybe some other FOLs. Later they moved to da Nang. I'm sure like most FAC units they moved around a lot, but I have this much on them at least. You could find more on the net probably. I'm off to bed, 0500 comes early!

Randy