Leroy Francis Smith grouping including rare naval silver half wing

rathbonemuseum.com

rathbonemuseum.com

Hello everyone,

I think many of you spotted this US Navy silver half wing that showed up recently on eBay. I was the fortunate one to acquire it out of a series of circumstances that probably put some of you off. Yes, the owner ended the auction early. No, I did not ask him to do that. I did reach out to him to ask if there was more to the wing (history, other material) available so I knew how to bid if there was more than the wing. Turns out he knew my website and was pleased anyone was interested that anyone wanted to keep his grandfather's stuff together and ended the auction on his own. We had not even discussed money yet. So it goes.

But now onto the wing and the other elements that came with it. I will share what there is but I am hoping I can add more to the story as it goes.

The aviator in question is Leroy Francis Smith. He was the grandfather of the seller. First, I will list what I know about his history:

Leroy Francis Smith

s/n 380-97-78

born June 6 1917 St. Paul MN

died August 22 1950

Enlisted in Navy 4 years July 15, 1936 Los Angeles, CA

apprentice seaman, training San Diego

Seaman 2C (SeaSc) November 15, 1936

Assigned to USS SARATOGA CV-3 Nov 1936-Dec 1938

Assigned to VS-41 as Sea1C Dec 1938

VS-41 was a scouting squadron from July 1937-Mar 1941 when it was redesigned as VF-42 until June 1942. VS-41 was assigned to the USS RANGER CV-4. VS-41 flew Vought SBU-1 Corsairs and later Vought SBU-2 Vindicators during this time.

Smith promoted to Aviation Ordnanceman 3C (AOM3c) Oct 1939 (VS-41)

promoted AOM2c Nov 1940

Entered SNAP program (student, naval aviation pilot) June 1941 Pensacola

Designated naval aviation pilot Dec 1941

Assigned to VP-83 Feb 1942. This squadron flew PBY-Catalinas in ASW operations out of Natal, Brazil. They sank a number of subs.

Promoted to AOM1c (NAP) April 1942

Promoted AP1c (aviation pilot) April 1942

Transferred to VP-34 June 1942

Patrol Squadron 34 flew PBYs in convoy protection and ASW ops around the clock out of bases in the Caribbean

Smith appointed Warrant Gunner (temp) May 1943

Smith appointed Ensign (T), Lieut (jg) (T) May 1943

Accepted appointment as Lt. (jg) and authorized Aug 1943

Assigned VP-12 Sep 1943 training

Assigned VJ-7 Nov 1943 various assignments San Diego

Assigned VJ-17 Mar 1944 Alameda/Moffett Field

July 1944 VJ-17 transfers to Marshall Islands

Promoted LT (Temp) July 1944

***end of entries in provided materials. will have to pull records***

Grandpa2.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

Now onto the group. The items that came with the silver half wing include Smith's chief hat badge, his pre-war style observer wing, the silver wing, one of his early dogtags, and engraved aviator belt buckle, his continuous service certificate book, his first flight logbook and a navy pilot's information file with his name and rank AOC (AP) on it.

LFSgroup.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

I will start with the silver wing first as that is the main "holy grail" wing interest. Pictures do it better justice and i will post many. It is "closed fluke" style heavy-feathered half aviator wing in what appears to be silver (not tested). It was made by Wall & Dougherty, a jewelry founded by Arthur Frederick Wall and J.D. Dougherty in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1912. They manufactured many items including silverware, flatware, fraternal items, items for the Hawaiian elite and the US military. They did not last long past the onset of the depression though I have not found a closing date. They were a constant advertiser in the Honolulu Star Bulletin. It was located in the first big hotel on the island, the Alexander Young hotel.

This wing has been discussed on the forum

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56949-silver-nap-wings/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/298864-us-navy-enlisted-half-wing/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/299017-us-navy-enlisted-flight-crew-wearing-silver-half-wing/

And I am not the first to find or post a wing like this on the forum. That honor goes to Gary Cain in 2011

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/130151-enlisted-seaplane-half-wing/

To paraphrase Cliff Presley, who has written about this and to the best of any official records the navy posted: "the silver half-wings were worn by enlisted seaplane flight crew from August 1919, and from 20 September 1922 to enlisted balloon pilots"

I wish this group settled this controversy. It does not. Leroy Francis enlisted in 1936. He was on the Saratoga for two years and the Saratoga was always in the Pacific Fleet and was in Pearl Harbor often. He as a seaman 2c during most of this time but with no clear posting other than he was clearly involved in aviation the entire time.

wingfront2.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

Here is his grave marker. The grandson says that he died in a plane crash in Korea though I could find no MACRs or casualty or accident reports tied to him. For now that is still a mystery.

I also asked about his regular aviator wings and where they might be, the grandson said his Dad had a lot of that stuff and apparently played with it as a kid. So lost in time.

Thanks for looking.

LFSgrave.jpg