1909 Shovel Cover Variation?

Pudgy (V)

I purchased this 1909 shovel cover yesterday, and it doesn't have the attached metal bracket with hook similar to the Kraig bayonet. It appears to have never had one, since there are no holes in the canvas or the leather inside the cover. It does look like something was inside the square leather rectangle, because you can see the outline of four circles. Has anyone seen this before? Is it another variation? Do you know what could have been used to hang the shovel cover? I attached pictures of one with the metal hanger for comparison. Thank-you for your help.

post-151853-0-07590400-1551025548_thumb.jpg

post-151853-0-73647200-1551025557_thumb.jpg

I don't think it was torn away, it was never added. You can see there aren't any holes in the canvas on the front of the cover, nor in the leather inside the cover. Look at pictures 4 and 5. On Doyler's example (the last picture) you can see the 4 rivets on the bracket that goes through the canvas, and then the leather on the inside of the cover. There are no holes for the rivets on mine anywhere.

I can see those. That's the mystery. There should be four holes where the ghost images are, and they should continue through the piece of leather on the inside of the cover. You can see the four brass rivets on Doyer's example (the last post). Mine does not have the four holes in the leather piece or remnants of rivets either. You can see that in the 2nd post 2nd picture. How would the cover be hung then? What was used to hang it?

I just looked at my 2 examples. They are both dated 1910 and have 4 rivets passing through to the inside of the cover. I suspect that your cover is an earlier version. Since you can't make out the date on the canvas try looking at the tip of the leather strap. Mine are both dated there as well as on the canvas.

Now we are getting somewhere. :) Here is another oddity. It doesn't appear to have went through an inspection, the tip of the strap isn't stamped with a date. There is a small "7" stamped on the leather on the inside of the cover though.

post-151853-0-28549100-1551188160_thumb.jpg

post-151853-0-94261600-1551188169_thumb.jpg

post-151853-0-94003400-1551188177_thumb.jpg

The shovel the cover came on is also odd. I wonder if this isn't some sort of experimental rig. From my research, this appears to be an early 1905 shovel with no wooden filler. The handle strap is attached by two screws in the front and back for easy removal. There are two holes in back of the metal handle strap and tiny holes in the wooden handle. It appears if the handle were shortened, the metal strap holes would be aligned with one of the tiny wooden holes in the wood handle. The handle would then be straight when reattached. The side picture of the shovel also shows two holes the could have been used to align the shovel head with the handle.

post-151853-0-55802000-1551201949_thumb.jpg

post-151853-0-49295800-1551201965_thumb.jpg

I'd like to see an earlier dated cover. I still think that yours had the krag hanger but only riveted to the outer leather. I'm assuming that it was found to be a weak connection so later covers were riveted through the canvas and interior leather.

As far as your shovel goes, I think the wood was replaced. The fillers weren't bothered with, and too many screw holes were drilled so some weren't used.

I think you might be right. I found a picture of an earlier 1908 cover that had the similar double sticking around the border of the leather like mine. They must not have riveted the earlier ones all the way through. Was 1908 the first year for these?

The revision to the cover is dated March 3, 1909. It added the rivets going all the way through to the inner leather reinforce.