SOS USMC helmet cover

juodonnell2012

juodonnell2012

Hello everyone, my friend picked a usmc helmet cover up from the Show of Shows, he sent a photo of it to me. It is a slitless variant with EGA on the front, but something seems off to me. Just wondering what you guys thought. Here are the only pics I have right now. What concerns me is there is no "border" around the "pacman" shape. I told him I would post it here for more opinions.

Best regards

Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

juodonnell2012

To me just some of the shapes on the cover look off, I know there was massive variation during the war so I may just be overly cautious. First pic is the cover in question second pic is one in my collection. Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Aside from the white outline.... the herribone pattern looks different... one USMC, and the other Army??

I have one with slits... I'll have to take a look at the fabric pattern

My fabric looks like yours... white outline and alternating chevron/plain weave/chevrons (I don't know if this makes sense or not).

The fabric you're questioning has chevron/chevron/chevron pattern. ??

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. :huh:

digi-shots,

WWII and Korean War vintage helmets covers were all the same Army Weave. The werent made with Marine Corps HBT weave.

juodonnell2012,

The space or gap around the colored spots in the camouflage patern has to do with the printing process and stencils used during the manufacture. The gaps vary from production run to production run, as do variations in the dye shades. That is not a way to determine a real cover from a reproduction. The cover in question looks okay.

This appears to be what I only call to keep'em straight and away from another "Model" type as the "Design B" of the Frogskin pattern.

There are many variances in placement when produced as well stated by GIJive. But there seems to be two distinct roller pattern shapes with what I call the "Design A" being the most common. Not only is the pattern slightly different on the "B", the HBT cloth is slightly different as well giving it a different appearance many times.

It is interesting though so far as the "A" has been identified only on the so called WWII Models 1 & 3, and all of the 1953 and 1964 contracts. The "B" is only on all three WWII models, and the only one to date found on the so called 2nd (slits only in crown). That is all part of the story that needs to still be learned and filled in as well...

Here is a link that attempts to explain.....

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/222350-2nd-model-usmc-frogskin-cover-the-rarest/?hl=design

Tell your friend to look at the stitching on the beach side. Originals will have a sort of interlocked stitching pattern running all the way down at the seam. I've yet to see a fake that has this. There's no pac-man on your friends cover which is a good sign. It would be virtually impossible to authenticate these covers by just taking the weave into account. The real give-away always is the stitching on the beach side as far as I'm concerned. Just looking at it I would say the odds are in your friend's favor. That's a high quality cover right there.

Best regards

Unfortunately, you cannot rely on that anymore.

I have seen multiple repro covers with center seam chain-stitching on the beach side.

No longer the tell it used to be.

Tell your friend to look at the stitching on the beach side. Originals will have a sort of interlocked stitching pattern running all the way down at the seam. I've yet to see a fake that has this. There's no pac-man on your friends cover which is a good sign. It would be virtually impossible to authenticate these covers by just taking the weave into account. The real give-away always is the stitching on the beach side as far as I'm concerned. Just looking at it I would say the odds are in your friend's favor. That's a high quality cover right there.

Best regards