Show Of Shows 2019 Thoughts & Photos

CNY Militaria

The show was awesome, as always.

I generally concur with sentiments previously stated. Crowds were good the majority of the time. Sales were brisk...as it was for anyone who had realistic prices or was willing to negotiate.

I missed out on a couple of things by literally milliseconds...which was irritating at the time, but I also found some really nice stuff.

Saw our old friends...and made a few new ones.

It's a reunion, Christmas morning, and an adventure...all wrapped up in one show,

I thought the show was fantastic, as always. I added a crown jewel to a friend's collection and conversely, found one for mine. I had a great time talking to friends and meeting a few of the folks here on the USMF that I've never met before. I stayed at the table for much of the show (SWMBO put a kabosh on wanton spending...) :D and saw quite a bit of traffic.

I concur with the others that there seemed to be a lot more US stuff than before, which was great. I don't know if the kerfuffle earlier with the near-cancellation of the show due to "Nazi memorabilia" encouraged more dealers to switch up what they brought, or perhaps some of the normal German-centric dealers passed on the show this time. Either way, for a collector of US uniforms and medals - the show was fantastic.

One thing I found at this show was that taking time to both talk to people as well as look at tables was important. I was able to find out about the rest of a grouping to one of the guys I wrote about in my book from a friend who just happened to come by and chat at my table, as well as found a couple of leads on some other nice militaria. Similarly, my table mates were able to score some great items simply because they actually looked at things on people's tables...even a few things I passed by, only to later find out that I probably would have bought them, had I only stopped, looked, and talked to the seller! Ah well... that's how it goes sometimes!

Overall, a great show...IMHO, one of the best yet, and the folks from OVMS really deserve a hat's off and applause for making a wonderful, smooth, and well-attended show.

Dave

I thought this show was the best SOS I've ever attended, and I don't believe I've missed any except perhaps for Desert Storm. Crowd was there, pleasant and buying if you priced accordingly. I also observed a goodly number of younger people walking the show with either 2 day passes or 2019 new member badges, and everyone of them commented they'd be back and not miss this one. It is a great gathering of folks and it was good to meet so many forum members and put a face on a name. I think the OVMS folks did a good job, and the unloading went very smooth Wednesday. Although would comment that they need more help to distribute dealer packets up front.

RememberThe5thESB

I thought this show was the best SOS I've ever attended, and I don't believe I've missed any except perhaps for Desert Storm.  Crowd was there, pleasant and buying if you priced accordingly.  I also observed a goodly number of younger people walking the show with either 2 day passes or 2019 new member badges, and everyone of them commented they'd be back and not miss this one.  It is a great gathering of folks and it was good to meet so many forum members and put a face on a name.  I think the OVMS folks did a good job, and the unloading went very smooth Wednesday.  Although would comment that they need more help to distribute dealer packets up front.

Lucky that you got to go! Schools been really laying it heavy with all the days missed. Would've loved to go but no way I could've... Plus I'm dead broke, but the experience would've been worth it!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Best SOS I have been to, I guess I get to say that because it was my first. I had fun even though I didn't find any of what I was looking for. I will definitely be back next year though.

This is what I find bothers me the most about shows. I mean, how many times can you ask someone how much is this or how much is that? Like you said, a lot of times when you ask they either dont know or you get a useless response like the ones you described. I usually will just by pass these tables or take a quick glance just to see if they have anything specific that I am looking for. I hope though that that isnt the norm at the SOS and that more often than not there are prices posted.

There is an old saying, if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. This may not be true, but it comes to mind when I see this and keep on walking.

Mikie

Sounds like it was a great show and thanks for all the reviews. I had hoped this would be my first show but couldn't get any friends to go with me. Next year I will go by myself if I have to. Was wondering if anyone noticed any capture papered guns? Thanks

I agree with the above comments- a very good show this year and definitely well-attended. Some good treasures to be found, even on Saturday.

Two things that did not go well were the Friday/ Saturday AM lines for the 0830 set up. We did not reach our table until 0840, leaving little time to get settled in before the doors opened. Perhaps allowing entrance through the door open to all on Thursday but only 20-30 life members Friday/Saturday would alleviate that or making dealer set up from 0800-0900, allowing more time for people to trickle in and alleviate the cattle drive.

Kyle

vintageproductions

My main observation this show was something I was glad to see and that was collectors not being afraid to ask questions about items they did not have a lot of knowledge on.

In the past it would always be, " Can you look at something I bought?", and then we would have to tell them it was fake.

This show a lot asked questions first and then if they bought the item they would then come and double check.

I know a lot of dealers get annoyed with these type questions, but I am encouraged with these questions as it means the collectors are serious and are doing their research before the "jumped in" or something they weren't comfortable.

My other highlight was dealing with the SOS Security. We noticed a buyer at the show that had been accused of stealing at the Pomona show but there wasn't 100% proof so we couldn't prosecute. At one point on Friday I looked up and saw this buyer walking by my table and instantly contacted the SOS management. After we told them what had happened at Pomona, they started following him and Saturday morning they caught him red handed stealing and took him out of the main show in hand cuffs. We all know that thievery can get out of hand at these shows but it was great to see OVMS take it serious and catch the guy.

CNY -

Thank you very much for the photos - I know it is not the easiest thing to do when you are attending a show or the first thing on your mind but for those of us who can't be there it is a real treat just to be able to see a few things.

Good hunting!

Best,

Bill K.

I agree. Thank you so much for the photos.

An excellent show for me. Setup went easily, although I prefer being able to drive into the back of the room. Good crowd throughout the show. A steady flow of folks by the tables, with only a few big gaps.

Selling (orders, decorations and medals) went well, including two very expensive medal groups. In general, the mid- and low-range items were slow to move, while the higher end material brought substantial attention.

Buying was somewhat slower than usual for me because I couldn't get away from the table very often. So, I bought a number of medals brought to me. Prices were on the lower side for what I bought. Plus, a friend brought a very nice group for my "US awards to foreigners" collection -- a group to an Australian artillery observer flying with a US unit in the Korean War. He received a US DFC and Air Medal for his tour with the 6148th Tactical Control Squadron ("Mosquitos").

Since I don't deal in Third Reich material, I saw no impact on that front. None of my customers even mentioned it.

I had a few "young" customers -- knowledgeable, but ready to ask good questions and to buy.

Overall, a good experience. I was most gratified to see no behavior that would generate heat and pressure on the Fairgrounds hierarchy. I'll be ready to go next year.

My wife gave birth to a Baby Girl on the 15th.

No SOS for me Ronnie

But where is the pics ?

Congratulations Owen on the new baby girl! That is fantastic. Sorry but I failed to take any photos.

Take care of that baby.

Ronnie

Raidercollector

Great show for me to. sold 2 big KIA marine groups.One was a Valor group. Sold one Navy Cross in the box ww2. Did not see any marine purple hearts there for sale. Bought 3 matching K98 rifles.Had a great show. I would say this is the best Military show in the USA. Went to the gun show there to. Mostly modern guns.The military show is bigger than the gun show now.It use to be smaller.Not no more.But still is big. and was crowded. Restaurant's where good to. Meet lots of forum members there. Did some trading to. Picked up a Raider uniform that I did a trade with a forum member. very happy with it. was a good trade. I missed seeing TOM LANE there. He was a great guy.

Nick

I had a very good show. I thought the show ran well with a minimum of problems that I was aware of. The weather was iffy at best but what can you expect in late February? Had a slight pissing contest with housekeeping at the hotel but they later apologized so no harm no foul. The KY Pork Producers were there in the lobby with their excellent piggy products. I have been going for over twenty years so I guess I have to admit that I like this show a lot.

Great buying and selling show very well attended this year, i think friday had the most traffic ...heres my finds from the show and yes thats a ww2 experimental us army camo cover!..one of my holy grail items!!....mike

post-350-0-11809500-1551199714_thumb.jpeg

BigDogMilitaria

I thought the show was phenomenal. I had a really great load of stuff for the tables and was busy pretty much non-stop. Never did see the whole show. Saturday was a bit slow for us. People came ready to buy, and i found the the serious buyers didnt waste time haggling over prices too much.

I found some great things for the collection. Specifically a 4th Marine Div group from a flamethrower. My partner originally bought it from the Vet about 10 years ago, before i knew him. He's told me about it many times, as the guy lived about 2 miles from my house. I never thought i would get a chance to own it. I happened to be walking by the fellow Michigan dealer who had it in his collection, when he pulled it out and asked me if i was interested. I could have left Wed night a happy man with this grouping.

Its always a nice time seeing fellow forum members and friends. It never ceases to amaze me how willing many are in sharing advice and giving

opinions on items that im unsure of.

post-52765-0-43904000-1551232766_thumb.jpg

Thanks Owen, its dead mint....i still cant believe i found it....mike

As an fyi, there's one of these on display at the Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg Texas, on a USMC mannequin. I always wondered what it was...now I know.

Government Issue

That bomb disposal Ike is killer for sure with those bullion patches.That's definitely one of a kind! Finding anything ID'd to a torch operator is very difficult, too. Great pick ups!

Dorango, got any more pics of that cover? Love the ball caps, too.