Salty USMC LWH

AnDuc49

This is a well-worn USMC Lightweight Helmet (LWH) that I was able to pick up recently. Although there’s no name or background available, the helmet shows signs of hard usage.

A size medium, it was most likely produced sometime in the 2003-2006 period. At some point, it’s original sling suspension was replaced with pads. Both the NVG bracket and the rhino mount (produced in August of 2003). The helmet features the later “Type I - Class II” (2007-2009 production) cover which were produced as a direct response from the USMC switching from a sling suspension to a padded one which resulted in changes to the way the cover is attached to the shell. I assume the cover might be a size too large as it does not conform to the shell and is quite baggy, especially on the rear. The cover has definitely seen some use though as it shows heavy staining and is ripped/frayed in numerous places.

Presumably when the suspension was refitted, the chinstraps were replaced with the Coyote #498 version which began to be issued in 2007 (one of the ballistic bolts is missing hence why the it’s loose in the rear). Additionally, the way the chinstrap is folded over and sweat-soaked, it seems like this was worn under the chin "M-1 style", which is officially against the rules. The folks at "Operation Helmet" made a big deal about this added danger to IED exposure when photos surfaced of marines wearing their LWH's like this during the initial 2009 Afghanistan surge.

Due to the mishmash of parts, I’d venture to say that this was a reissued piece that was used in Iraq or Afghanistan sometime in the 2008-2010 period.

I hope you all like it as much as I do.

post-154926-0-07862700-1550858551_thumb.jpg

Nice amount of salt there Anduc,

That dirt and dust on the inside is killer

Thanks for sharing !

- Dean

Certainly adds to the "cool factor" and I like the fact that it's untouched as many guys do wash out their pads/inside of the helmet

Nice helmet

Thank you for the kind comment