Here's to you, Dad

Championhilz

Today would have been my father's 82nd birthday (He passed away two years ago), and to mark the occasion I created an online shadowbox of his military service during World War II at honorplace.com. If you have not checked out the site, it is great! You can create a shadowbox honoring your own or a family member's military service, and it is free. I highly recommend it. My father's shadowbox can be viewed at: http://www.honorplace.com/Shadowbox.aspx?alias=Giambrone

It is still a work in progress, but I would love to hear some comments...

Hi Champ,

That's a really nice site. Your dad's shadowbox is great, very nicely done, what a great way to honor these men and women.

Hi Champ,

That's a really nice site. Your dad's shadowbox is great, very nicely done, what a great way to honor these men and women.

Couldn't agree more!

You really did a great job by creating this shadowbox for your father.

Tom

FightenIrish35

Oh Boy Jeff,what a SPECTACULAR way to show him you honor him and love him. Your father is smiling right now Jeff,i know,and you know that hes very proud of his boy thumbsup.gif

Great way to honor him CHAMP! thumbsup.gif

By the way is it free to do on that website or do I need to enter a fee.Id love to honor my grandfather now that i see how nice yours came out buddy.

Regards,

Michael

Very nice tribute to your father. It's interesting that he was able to get the deferment to finish HS. My dad was in about the same boat but got drafted anyway. He had to finish HS after the war (10th Mountain Div.).

Very nice tribute to your father. It's interesting that he was able to get the deferment to finish HS. My dad was in about the same boat but got drafted anyway. He had to finish HS after the war (10th Mountain Div.).

Dad's deferment was one of the benefits of living in a small Southern town - He was born and raised in Bolton, Mississippi, population (then & now) approximately 640. Everybody knew everybody, and half the people in town were related to the other half. The head of the local draft board was friends with my dad's parents, and gave him a deferment to finish high school. So instead of entering the army in early 1944, he didn't enter service until the summer of 1944. This delay made all the difference in the world, as he arrived in Europe just after the Battle of the Bulge. In fact, the unit he was sent to, Troop B of the 18th Mechanized Recon. Cavalry, needed replacements badly as they had taken heavy losses during the Bulge. Dad's commanding officer, Capt. Robert G. Fossland, received a silver star for his actions during the Bulge - he led the survivors of his troop out of a German encirclement and back to U.S. lines. My dad became very good friends with Capt. Fossland, and said they exchanged Christmas Cards for years after the war.

• 4 weeks later...