Sign in to follow this  
blackhawkdown

My WW1 Trench - The Bunker 1918 Rebuild

This year I had to tear down my WW1 trench because of moving. Now I want to build it bigger and better with some new ideas. The old trench had light and sound effects, the light flickered and danced on the soldiers silhouette picture at the top of the trench. Its nice for the rebuild that I still have all the old materials and wood.

Here was my old trench.

post-166668-0-10463000-1550455937.jpeg

Oh wow! That is fantastic!

Collector of WWI US Navy "Donald Duck" Caps and Hat Tallies - Looking for Tallies from the USS Carp & USS Chauncey

That is fantastic! The original set a standard, but this one is like opening a second front!

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Wow, it is truly fantastic!

WANT TO BUY:

Titled case set "U.S. Typhus Commission";

Titled case "Medal for Merit";

ASMIC: 1677

OMSA: 6045

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Love it....that's cool.

LEATHERNECK72

Advanced Collector and USMC Officer --- Paying top dollar for quality Marine Corps antiques. Kepis, shakos, helmets, hats, good conduct medals, old photos, fighting knives, hat and collar emblems, swords, guns, documents. Keep your USMC item in a Marine Corps family! Send me a PM and let me know what you have....

donation2014.gif

The original was truly inspiring, reminded me of the one at Cantigny Park in Wheaton Illinois when I was a kid. I for one can not wait for the next "edition" of The Bunker.

I need some fried .303 brass and some fired empty 8 mm Lebel to scatter under the guns. By the way they are dummy gun, not live. Vickers was from IMA

This is my planned scene at top of trench. I need to try to blow it up about 12 foot long. I will have to comprise some of the angry sky. Love the silhouette and think my lights flashing on it will be cool

post-166668-0-56841900-1550458017_thumb.jpeg

Here is how I do the lights. I put a shelf with 4 floods and 2 red strobes. I have a gadget that the floods hook to that break my sound track down into 4 frequencys. Low, Medium low, mid range and high. When I run a sound track thru it it flashes randomly to the frequency. I just turn the strobes on manually. I still use a recorded clip on a loop cassette tape that was a battle scene in the movie Gallipoli. I think it has actual Lewis guns in the track. Yes old school cassette loop tape.

post-166668-0-01432700-1550458506_thumb.jpeg

A little more progress this week. I have the trench wall pretty advanced, I will recess the wood box into the trench wall, thats my hand grenade box. I still have my battle scene to be printed, maybe a week out. I am going to work on the fire step next. Once thats done I will start painting the floor and creating a mud floor look. Then I can put my duckboards down.

post-166668-0-73419700-1550710621_thumb.jpeg

MG stands. I put split logs around the base. I got these slabs from a sawmill. What I need are a bunch of spent 8 mm Lebel casings, anyone know someone that has some? I would like to scatter them under th3 gun.

post-166668-0-08913500-1550711017_thumb.jpeg

Now for the Vickers, I found a source for .303 empty casings to scatter abut. Notice the logs around the base. Nice thing about building a trench scene, its really just your imagination, you can use all kinds of wood scraps.

post-166668-0-62942000-1550711256_thumb.jpeg

Really impressive work! I would love to have the space for something like that.

-Todd

Currently looking for WWI items, specifically photos of the 116th infantry regiment, and any material related to the USS Olympia.

Always on the lookout for any rations, miscellaneous personal items, pack filler, care package stuffers, knit Red Cross material, and oddball equipment to supplement the Doughboy display.
Have some extras? I help friends fill out their living history kit, and could always use more loaner gear!

I love the display, is it one of the guns that IMA sells that is made from original parts? How do you like it I have been giving a little thought into getting one of those to add to the wow factor of my families gun room but haven't decided whether it would be better to get one of those or save to try to get a semi-auto version.

I need some fried .303 brass and some fired empty 8 mm Lebel to scatter under the guns. By the way they are dummy gun, not live. Vickers was from IMA

Also as far as ammo are you looking for origional period casings or just any 8mm french and .303 casings?

donation2019.gif

Yes, the Vickers is from IMA, is really quite nice. You ought to get one while you can find one. I found some .303 casings, they don’t have to be period. I still have not found any 8mm Lebel. I have my banner for over the trench finalized and ordered, it will be 24” x 144”

Fantastic work! I'm envious of the space you have available! Do you give tours? :D