Mystery WWII Navy Squadron Patch? Dog, Cannon, Anchor

36thIDAlex

Found this locally and have been having trouble trying to ID it. Make is WWII, Cannon has a 2 on it and is shooting a ball with 414

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have yet to find anything but does anyone know/think this could possibly be a patch from the USS RUSSELL (DD 414)? I am trying to use the numbers to figure this out but have yet to find a patch from the RUSSELL to confirm. It could be a flying squadron but the cannon and anchor both make me wonder about being some sort of ship-related insignia.

I think it might be from gun or mount or turret 2 on the DD-414. That would be my guess.

Might have been hand done in such small numbers that you might never find info on it, perhaps in a cruise book from the ship? Likely done for just a handful of sailors?

That's my thought. Its a neat patch tho for sure!

I think it might be from gun or mount or turret 2 on the DD-414. That would be my guess. 

Might have been hand done in such small numbers that you might never find info on it, perhaps in a cruise book from the ship? Likely done for just a handful of sailors?

That's my thought. Its a neat patch tho for sure! 

Thanks! That is exactly what I was thinking. I’d never heard of specific gun mounts doing something like that or what they would really have to put the patch on but I could definitely see this patch being made shipwide with each guncrew getting a different number put on there.

I’ll have to look through any cruise books but I imagine this is one I’ll never be able to confirm without talking to someone who was there. 414 just doesn’t match up with anything else I can find so this is probably the best guess. I’ll bring it along with me to SOS and see if anyone more knowledgeable on the area has an opinion.