WW I and Post War Delaware 198th Signal Battalion

jmar

Hello all!

I'm still alive and kicking. Had to sell off 3/4s of my collection in order to keep my house, but fortunes have shifted back in my favor, all is finally well. So, for a change, I'm actually posting an informational thread rather than a for sale thread! Here are a few BOS disks for Delaware's 198th Signal Battalion. These came with some Coastal Artillery BOS, both EM and Officer. Not sure if they were actually tied in, but the early 198th disks are of great interest to me and I'm glad to have them. I found a great deal of info on-line as to the 198th SB, but no pics of insignia. If I'm wrong in assuming this is a Signal Corps disk, please let me know.

Thank you all for your support over the last 6 years, better days have finally come!

Best wishes to all!

Joe

Obverse:

post-48324-0-05824300-1550441256_thumb.jpg

There was a 198th Coast Artillery in the Delaware National Guard. It eventually became the 198th Signal Battalion in 1990. Your discs are undoubtedly for the Coast Artillery.

There was a 198th Coast Artillery in the Delaware National Guard. It eventually became the 198th Signal Battalion in 1990. Your discs are undoubtedly for the Coast Artillery.

Hello atb!

Many thanks, I knew if I came here I'd get the info in needed on these. This makes perfect sense since there were some officer CAC BOS devices included in the lot.

Thank you again!

Joe

Do you know which manufacturer used that star hallmark on the obverse of one of your discs? My references do not show it though it is on at least one of my Quartermaster discs. I've heard through the unofficial grapevine it may be Horstmann, but I can't prove that definitively. If you know I would love to learn! Thanks.

Hello MZ! I've seen the star on several of the post WW I disks, if you look close there is the star mark on the 2 disks to the far right. Unfortunately I don't know the maker, but I'll go through what I have and see if I can find more examples for you.

Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

Best wishes,

Joe

• 4 years later...
Salvage Sailor

198th Coast Artillery Regiment

Sembler Gemsco

SEMBLER198thCoastArtillery001.JPG.9d3be66950366b055e2d00d1f0425a4a.JPG

198th Coast Artillery Regiment (Anti-Aircraft) Delaware NG Insignia authorized 1933, approved 1934

Reorganized and federally recognized 15 September 1921 in the Delaware National Guard as the 198th Artillery Regiment (Coast Artillery Corps), with headquarters at Wilmington, and the Separate Battalion, Coast Artillery, Delaware National Guard

198th Artillery (Coast Artillery Corps), redesignated 16 August 1924 as the 198th Coast Artillery