Vietnam Era Rigger Modified USN Torso Harness Question

cricket

Does anybody know the purpose of the four grommets you see from time to time on these rigger modified harnesses? My best guess was an attachment point for a Larger knife... Kbar etc. But in practice I don't know that this makes much sense. The grommets are approximately 10 inches apart. Thanks for any help.

post-598-0-82614300-1550439595.jpgpost-598-0-04232500-1550439636.jpg

I don't know for sure, this is the first Ive seen like that but judging from the length between the 2 sets Id say to possibly rig a Pilots Survival Knife setup. The scabbard usually has the holes at the top and bottom for the ties. Thats a pretty interesting pocket setup as well, haven't see one like that but its surely an earlier harness with the REDAR hose pocket that at some point was updated to use Koch fittings up top vs the original RJEs like the survival kit fittings still are. Nice piece.

I don't know for sure, this is the first Ive seen like that but judging from the length between the 2 sets Id say to possibly rig a Pilots Survival Knife setup. The scabbard usually has the holes at the top and bottom for the ties. Thats a pretty interesting pocket setup as well, haven't see one like that but its surely an earlier harness with the REDAR hose pocket that at some point was updated to use Koch fittings up top vs the original RJEs like the survival kit fittings still are. Nice piece.

Thanks for the reply mohawkALSE,

It does still retain the early Rocket Jet fittings for the chute as well, they were just out of sight in the first photos.

post-598-0-52336700-1550509139.jpg

Ah, I see now. That rigger sewn rescue V ring threw me, looked like the RJE or Koch fittings were removed for the risers. Are those RJE fittings the simple D like the survival kit rings or are they the adjustable type? I think Ive seen both adjustable and non adjustable RJE riser fittings on the MA-2 harness.

Ah, I see now. That rigger sewn rescue V ring threw me, looked like the RJE or Koch fittings were removed for the risers. Are those RJE fittings the simple D like the survival kit rings or are they the adjustable type? I think Ive seen both adjustable and non adjustable RJE riser fittings on the MA-2 harness.

They're simple D rings, non adjustable (I might have another one with the upper adjustable RJE fittings, I'll have to look as I'm digging my stuff back out). I'm almost embarrassed to admit this but going back to the grommets I never even considered the pilots survival knife. When I Looked at the spacing between the grommets I assumed it was way to big for that knife and had my mind set on a MK2 or similar, but that just didn't make sense due to the sheath designs. I just dug out a pilots survival knife and the sheath matches up perfectly with the grommets.... I still can't believe I didn't try it sooner (or first).

Thank you.