Philippine-American War Purple Heart

beerdragon54

I picked this up a couple days ago and was so excited I’m still smiling. He was with the 22nd US Infantry and wounded 3/11/1899. Enjoy!!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
RegularsByGod

Excellent find and super that you have the paper to go with it.

The 22nd Infantry arrived in the Philippines on two ships. Part of the Regiment sailed on the Senator. The other part, including Seigenthaler and Company C sailed on the Ohio. The Senator arrived March 4 and Seigenthaler aboard the Ohio arrived March 5, 1899. Almost immediately the Regiment was placed in the front lines against Aguinaldo's insurgents. Seigenthaler was wounded only 6 days after arriving in the Philippines.

Here's the passage from the official 1922 history of the 22nd Infantry relevant to Seigenthaler being wounded:

"March 10, Companies B, C, H and L, were assigned to a position on the line of outposts to the southwest of San Pedro Macati. Since shortly after the beginning of hostilities, February 4, 1899, the American line south of the Pasig river had extended from San Pedro Macati southwesterly to Manila bay. This line was intrenched and was opposed by insurgent forces along its entire front. Shots were exchanged daily. Night attacks by the insurgents were frequent; the regiment suffered casualties almost as soon as they took

position on the line."

The official 1904 history of the Regiment lists the wounded on March 11 as being Private Marshall Combs of Company B and Private Amos W. Seigenthaler of Company C. Seigenthaler is carried in the monthly returns of the Regiment as being absent from his Company and at Manila (apparently in the hospital there) from March 12 through the month of June. I'll try to find when he joined the Regiment and when he left it and will post such when I find it.

RegularsByGod

Amos W. Seigenthaler

Enlisted as a Private for a period of 3 years November 17, 1898 at Wooster, Ohio. Born in Smithville, Ohio. Age at enlistment 21 years & 10 months. Previous occupation Farmer. Dark brown eyes, dark brown hair, fair complexion, height 5 feet 5 inches.

Joined Company C 22nd Infantry at Fort Crook, Nebraska on about November 20, 1898. (number is difficult to read in the Regimental returns but looks like either 20 or 21.)

Discharged November 16, 1901 at Nagasaki, Japan upon expiration of term of service with rank of Private and character reference of Excellent.

beerdragon54

Thank you so much for that detailed information on this man. I find the Philippine-American war very interesting and need to find a good book detailing our participation. One of my most treasured items.

RegularsByGod

I have compiled a detailed history of the 22nd Infantry in the Philippines on our 1st Battalion 22nd Infantry website. Go to the link below which will take you to the History Section title page, and then scroll down to the heading labeled PHILIPPINE INSURRECTION/MORO WARS 1899-1905 and you will find extensive coverage of the 22nd Infantry in the Philippines.

The link is:

http://1-22infantry.org/history/historytitle.htm

WOW! Congratulations on a wonderful find. Excecptionally rare to begin with but to have the transmital letter with it is just amazing!

A PH that has eluded my collection for years.

Gary B

Anyone know if much would be found if I sent away for his records?

Yes, I suspect it will be worth it. Given the value of the medal, the cost of the research will be a very little cost. You just never know, but for this one, absolutely. Get the research done.