WW2 US .45 ammo can with Chinese writing

P-59A

This ammo can came with a US Vietnam class A I bought. I found the can on line, but with US printing. Has anyone come across a ammo can like this? My understanding from the uniform post is as follows. The ammo was sent to the Chinese to fight the Japanese during WW2. During the Vietnam war the Communist Chinese sent this to the N. Vietnamese to fight us. This vet brought this home for some reason.

post-169522-0-51484100-1550383091_thumb.jpg

Looks like the M5 Metal Can, commonly called "SPAM" can. Lots of .45 was packed this way, but I doubt much of it had the travel history that this can seems to have. Only the "Can, Hermetically Sealing Metal Light Gage Tear-Strip Type" is officially called an "ammo can" although the term is often used for any metal ammo box or container.

Really cool can. I wonder if it was marked that way when it was made in the states, or, repainted in China. Any indication of over painted English information?

Thanks for posting it.

BKW

This can was not repainted or over painted. It has no indication of english words under another coat of paint. The top line say's "M1911"and ".45" The second line from bottom has a manufacture date of "2-44". The words are aplyed with a stencil. The paint color is in keeping with those I have seen on line.

The can came with this uniform I posted in the UNIFORM section and these came from a yard sale of the Vet's brother. His brother brought this back from Vietnam.

post-169522-0-73133400-1550430608.jpg

This is the best guess from the uniform post. "It's probably Chinese, seeing M1911 45, meaning for a 45. pistol and 2 44, February 1944. My guess would be, maybe VC, gotten from the CHICOMS, who in turn got it from the Nationalist Chinese as booty during their post WWII civil war."

Bottom mark on the can.

I have seen both belted and boxed M2 ball ammunition in spam cans with the same logo. All that I have seen has been Taiwanese.

I wonder if this is WWII surplus ammunition that was repacked in Taiwan?

I missed my window to edit my post so:

60A is Factory 60A in Kao Hsuing, Taiwan.

Using the Chinese Minguo calendar this looks like it could be Taiwanese ammunition made in Feb 1955.

"The “wheel” symbol was the early mark for Factory 60A in Kao Hsuing, Taiwan. The date of 8 42 equates to the 8th month of Chinese year 42 which (as Jon pionts out) is western calendar 1953. These rounds were produced on equipment supplied by Canada and is believed to be the old Defence Industries equipment that C-I-L (who owned Defence Industries) sold to the Chinese in about 1949/50. All the rounds I have examined had the C-I-L “Richardson” boxer primer which has a unique anvil."

This is from another site talking about head stamps.

post-169522-0-42095100-1550446937.jpg