WWII Jump Boots

cmt04444

I believe they're M1948 pattern boots. As noted above, heel isn't slanted and there isn't a leather mid-sole as you'd expect on WWII-era jump boots. Still, a nice set for the early occupation era.

Several things I look for in a WW2 jump boot are the half sole,beveled heal,12 eyelets for laces and the white webb ankle support sewn into the boot.Typically you will see the diagonal line from the stitching.WW2 boots I have are Corcoran or the Army Contract and have US ARMY on the sole.This can wear off but they are all 12 eyelets.The M48 or post war boot will have 11 eyelets and no ankle web support.

Granted some boots have been resoled and reheeled.

The boots in post #8 look post WW2 or Korea.Was common to have zippers added some may have been made with zips.

Boots I commonly see from the post WW2-Korea era are "PARATROOPER" and "SKY TROOPER".The SKY TROOPER were made by Red Wing and said to have been made both WW2 and also post WW2.Both have a commercial type woven lable sewn into the upper tongue.I haven't seen or owned a pair of Red Wing jump boots with a WW2 govt contract marking and maybe someone can post a set.Another maker/brand that comes to mind is "SKY MASTER".

Also these brown boots were manufactured until the late 50s when the Army changed from brown shoe to black shoe.Often you see older brown boots dyed black to be worn.I even have a set of two buckles dyed black as well as a set of brown jumpboots that were blackened both belonged to a Colonel.

So to confuse things the brown jump boots and the M48 boots were dyed for later wear and brown was manufactured well into the 50s.I knew a 17th airborne vet who bought brown Corcorans to wear as work boots in the 50s.Plus other companies like Mason,CarolinaH&H all had a type of jump or combat boot over the years.

If your looking for a WW2 set I would go with the Army contract marked or a set of Corcorans.Both have 12 eyelets and the webb ankle supports.

Will also ad that boots typically marked with paint on the inside tend to be post WW2 (in my experience) .In post #1 the RA prefix on the Serial number(Regular Army) began in 1947 if I recall correctly. You may encounter RA or US on post war serial numbers.

• 1 year later...

Michel De Trez wrote in one of his books that US WWII Jump Boots were manufactured with between 11 and 13 eyelets. What do you think about this image taken near Rome, 1944? These are 14-holers. Are they Jump Boots or one of numerous Work Shoes as used by soldiers then?

1441657530_14holes.jpg.19ad9e32ec7206e1302d22fcebbbf341.jpg

Near Rome 1944.jpg