36th ID uniforms

ww2guymandude

ww2guymandude

Recently started to have a focus on collecting ETO uniforms, with a side focus on 36th ID items because of my Texas background. Stuff from the 36th is pretty hard to find, so this is all I have so far. All are named, however only the Ike is completely researched. Would love to see what others have pertaining to the 36th!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Very nice uniforms..

I have a named combination 63rd ID / 36th ID combat medic uniform. The 63rd ID was the medic's current assignment and the 36th ID was the medics combat patch. The medic was with the 111th Medical Battalion, 36th ID when he was awarded his Combat Medical Badge. Both the the 36th and 63rd Infantry Divisions liberated Concentration Camps.. The 36th Liberated a Dachau sub camp and the 63rd liberated Kaufering, also a Dachau sub camp.

I don't currently have pictures as it is on temporary loan to a local museum...

Leigh

Great, a new thread to bookmark!

Well I think we are familiar but I’ve seen other threads for other units and would like to see this one become a reference for 36th uniforms (or any 36th if you’d like, I’ve got some other things I could post that aren’t uniforms)

First is from my g-grandfather PFC Delmer C. Koonter, my pride and joy, who served with I company, 142nd IR from the tail of Italy to the end of the war. He was wounded in Selestat on Dec. 2, a battle for which he also received his PUC.

The photo and painting were done of this same uniform.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My other 36th jacket is a 1956 dated (last run of Ikes) that belonged to Sgt. John Pavlovic. Born to Yugoslavian immigrants, he enlisted illegally at age 15 to serve with E company, 141st IR. He was wounded in the war and awarded the bronze star. He would go on to serve in Germany during Korea and then an additional 3 tours in Vietnam where he was wounded again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BILL THE PATCH

Here's is my only 36th named Ike. Name is Walter Osterhout. Co. M 143rd inf regt. Also have his purple heart for wounds received. I sent for records not much was there. Also have his brother in law's WW2 4 pocket. 15th air Force waist Gunner. DFC awardee, Air Medal 2 OLC. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Amazing 36th Infantry uniforms so far!

I am very curious to know if anyone has anything belonging to veterans from F Company, 142 infantry regiment. Many of the original (pre-war NG) members of the company were local residents of my area.

Source: https://www.newcomeralbany.com/Obituary/66467/Walter-W-Osterhout/Albany-New-York

In Loving Memory of

Walter W. Osterhout

1919 2013

Visitation:

Thursday, April 04, 2013 from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM

New Comer Cremations & Funerals

343 New Karner RD

Colonie, NY 12205

518-456-4442

Service:

Thursday, April 04, 2013 at 1:00 PM

New Comer Cremations & Funerals

343 New Karner RD

Colonie, NY 12205

518-456-4442

COLONIE – Walter W. Osterhout, 94, passed away at his home on Friday, March 29, 2013, with his loving family by his side. Born in Schenectady, he was the son of the late Harry and Jennie Osterhout and brother of the late Leslie Osterhout. Mr. Osterhout lived in Colonie since 1947. He served his country in the Army during World War II in the European Theater. A disabled veteran, Walter was a Purple Heart recipient. Walter worked for Otis Elevator and then for New York Telephone, retiring in 1983 after 30 years of service. He was a member of Pine Grove United Methodist Church for 58 years. Walter was a Sunday school teacher and served on various church committees. He was a member of the Albany Masonic Temple, Wadsworth Lodge #417 and Past President of Maywood PTA. He was a volunteer for Mobile Meals and Talking Books for the visually impaired. Walter enjoyed camping in the Adirondacks, sport fishing, bowling and golfing. He especially loved vacationing on Cape Cod with his family.

Walter is survived by his beloved wife of seventy-one years and the love of his life, Doris J. (Miller) Osterhout. He is the devoted father of Diane (David) Simons of Plainville, CT, Dean (Karen) Osterhout of Latham and Denise (Raymond) Palmer of Scotia. He is the cherished grandfather of Deidre (George) Schilling of Plainville, CT, Heather (Chris) LaBarge of Latham, Lauren (Aaron) Neer of Clifton Park, Ryan (Tiffany) Osterhout of Loudonville, Amanda (Jason) Gingras of Latham and Jason Palmer of Scotia. Also surviving are seven loving great-grandchildren, two special nieces, Susan Castledine and Christine DeWitt and many nieces and nephews. The family would like to thank Community Hospice of Albany and Walter and Doris’ neighbors for all of their care and support.

Funeral services will be Thursday at 1:00 p.m. at New Comer Cannon Funeral Home, 343 New Karner Rd., Colonie (Rt. 155-south of Central Ave). Calling hours will precede the service from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the funeral home. Interment will be in Evergreen Memorial Park, Colonie. Memorial contributions may be made to Pine Grove United Methodist Church, 1580 Central Ave., Albany, NY 12205 in memory of Walter W. Osterhout.

g1.jpg

This grouping was a local Craigslist find. Although a bit out of my collecting interests at the time, it was a hard group to pass up when I saw it. The lot is named to a Corporal who served with the 36th Infantry Division, 142nd Infantry Regiment, "I" Company. Some limited research shows he qualified for his CIB in August of 1944 and was discharged in March of 1946. The Ike is dated June of 1944 and came with matching pants (not shown). I tried to check out CIB to see if there were any markings on the reverse, however interestingly the vet had it sewn on the jacket as shown. Also the OD handkerchief has a theater sewn 36th ID patch on it.

post-330-0-50628900-1550635829.jpg

post-330-0-28781100-1550635837.jpg

post-330-0-34779500-1550635848.jpg

This grouping was a local Craigslist find.  Although a bit out of my collecting interests at the time, it was a hard group to pass up when I saw it.  The lot is named to a Corporal who served with the 36th Infantry Division, 142nd Infantry Regiment, "I" Company. Some limited research shows he qualified for his CIB in August of 1944 and was discharged in March of 1946. The Ike is dated June of 1944 and came with matching pants (not shown). I tried to check out CIB to see if there were any markings on the reverse, however interestingly the vet had it sewn on the jacket as shown. Also the OD handkerchief has a theater sewn 36th ID patch on it.

That one is incredible! Love it and the fact that my grandfather went into combat around the same time and likely knew the man who wore it! Very cool!

BILL THE PATCH

Source:  Fulton

Thanks aznation, there's a couple of articles I didn't have.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ww2guymandude

This grouping was a local Craigslist find. Although a bit out of my collecting interests at the time, it was a hard group to pass up when I saw it. The lot is named to a Corporal who served with the 36th Infantry Division, 142nd Infantry Regiment, "I" Company. Some limited research shows he qualified for his CIB in August of 1944 and was discharged in March of 1946. The Ike is dated June of 1944 and came with matching pants (not shown). I tried to check out CIB to see if there were any markings on the reverse, however interestingly the vet had it sewn on the jacket as shown. Also the OD handkerchief has a theater sewn 36th ID patch on it.

Jeez, thats quite a craigslist find, love the handkerchief too! Never seen a 36th one before.