H&R Reising Model 60 - .45 ACP - An interesting piece of history

THREEDFLYER

A local freind of mine let me take this one home and I did a complete take-down and clean up and it's quite the interesting design.

Appariently the H&R Model 60 Semi-Auto was an attempt at competition for the Thompson....and I can tell you it's MUCH lighter in weight than the Thompson.

I am considering buying this piece from my buddy.....but the prices have really gone up on these as they have on all of the WWII production firearms.

Notes: "The caliber .45 ACP REISING Model 60 semi-automatic subcarbine was designed by Eugene G. Reising in the early 1940's. This weapon was manufactured by the Harrington & Richardson Arms Company in Worcester, Massachusetts and was developed primarily for police use.

The REISING Model 60 semi-automatic subcarbine is identical in all respects to the REISING Model 50 submachine gun, except it has an eighteen-inch barrel and its mechanism only permits semi-automatic fire. Two variations of rear sights will be found on the Model 60. The first is like than on the Model 50. The second type is an improved aperture adjustable from 50 to 300 yards. Usually, a 12-round magazine is used with the Model 60, although a 20-round box type can also be used. A few very early production models can be found with cooling rings on the barrel, similar to those on the barrel of the M1921 THOMPSON Submachine Gun. Later models of the M60 had smooth barrels.
All REISING-developed weapons of this type have a retarded blowback action which fire from the closed-bolt position." - Thomas B. Nelson.

Enjoy!

IMG-2229.jpg

IMG-2233.jpg

IMG-2213.jpg

IMG-2215.jpg

IMG-2231.jpg

Very nice. The M60 was meant for guard or police use where full auto was not desired or required. The M50 and M55 (paratroop) were full auto versions. They kind of competed to replace the Thompson but got a bad reputation as parts were not fully interchangeable and can be a little finicky.

If you like the M60, buy it. They do not come up often and I would say are harder to locate than anM50. Although for the price Id rather save some more and get a registered M50.

Would you share the serial number or range?

Thanks,

Ron

The serial number on the one I am discussing is 846 so it's an early one if you consider just over 3,200 were produced.

One observation I have made in considering whether or not to purchase this gun is that the barrel/receiver are parkerized and the balance of the parts are blued.

But they are all Reising parts there is no doubt.

There is also a hairline crack in the bottom of the stock, not a big issue......and certainly repairable.

The bolt shows minor surface issues most likely from shooting military corrosive .45 ammo at some point and not being cleaned right away.....but the bore is excellent with good rifling and shine.

The asking price for this one is $2,500 and there is one listed on GunBroker at this moment that has bids up to just over $3,000 currently with time left on the auction.

Great price the are a joy to shoot you can get parts or a good gunsmith with a milling machine ,will be able to

make parts, I have the original manual from my cuz who the auto version in his tank in ww2.

I think the $2,500 asking price is OK for this one with the minor issues it has and the mix of blue/parkerized parts.
It quite possibly could bring more at auction due to the fact the Model 60's have become more sought after by collectors recently.

I may take this one out and throw some lead down the pipe this weekend just to give it a go.

Charlie Flick

Hello Tom:

Neat gun. I'd buy it if I was you.

A little known nugget: The CIA had some of these Model 60 rifles in their inventory. Some of them had barrels with threaded muzzles. I am left to wonder to what use they were put and where they are now.

Regards,

Charlie

I agree with the others. I'd buy this if I were you. Mine is a later all parkerized example in the 21xx range.

I believe what you are seeing with the mix of blue/parked finish is simply the changeover that was taking place in this serial number range, (neat variation if you ask me). RIA sold one a year or so ago for $5700+.

After taking this one out and firing nearly 100 rounds of factory ammo through three different magazines I decided to pass on the Reising.

Although it was fairly accurate, I had nothing but issues with all three mags-------typically got off 2-3 rounds before a feeding issue which to me is a no go. Maybe new mags with fresh springs would fix the problem, but I'll let someone else play with this one.

Was cool to get a chance to handle/disassemble and fire this one though......as I may not come across another.