NEED DATA PLATE HELP

ram957

I could use a little help with this Data Plate....The Serial number is in the range for a Curtiss Falcon but I'm a bit confused by the Aircraft Type listing of D-12-E

post-13070-0-56503300-1550276352.jpeg

According to Wikipedia... The Curtiss D-12, sometimes identified with the military designation Curtiss V-1150, was an aircraft engine of 18.8 liter displacement. It was a water-cooled V12, producing 443 hp (330 kW) and weighing 693 lb (314 kg)

D-12 was also a version of the Falcon, called the Conqueror, which was a mail plane. 20 of them were built, one was sold to Charles Lindbergh. There lies my confusion...Ive never seen an AAC Acceptance plate on an engine , no less with a serial number . Also, why would a civilian version of the plane have an AAC plate ??

I've been doing a bit of searching and see that Serial #'s 30-1 to 30-28 and 30-231 to 30-280 were Curtiss A-3B's which were equipped with the D-12-E of nine. So am I correct in assuming that the plate was affixed to the aircrafts engine ? I don't believe I've ever heard of acceptance plates affixed to engines, but then again I'm not too familiar with WWI and mid war aircraft.

Here's a picture of a Curtiss D-12-E engine. Notice the data plate on the right-hand side of the picture. Unfortunately, I can't get a closer view, but it looks like that same kind of plate you show. The plate like yours would be more or less placed in the center of the engine when looked at in its current view and there would be another type plate to the left of it and another to the right.

h3.jpg

aznation THANKS......I can make out the plate in the photo enough to see its the same type....im now assuming that this plate is off the engine of SN 30-3....or the 3rd engine accepted in 1930.