In lieu of Certificate of Merit DSC?

MMcollector

Has anyone seen or know of a Distinguished Service Cross Issued in Lieu of a Certificate of Merit? I have never seen one. Someday I would love to add one to my collection with the Certiciate of Merit and Distinguished Service Medal in Lieu of Certificate of Merit & Philippine Campaign Issued to a CoM recipient that I am the caretaker for. Would love to see anyone elses Certificate of Merit or CoM related medals.

Distinguished Service Medal Issued in Lieu of Certificate of Merit to Master Sergeant Louis A. Sillito for nursing yellow fever during the Spanish American War. post-134470-0-82725200-1550245833_thumb.jpeg

Philippin Campaign Medal Issued 1st Lieutenant Edward Koenig. Recipient of Certicate of Merit No. 97. (Location of CoM is unknown). post-134470-0-60386800-1550245975_thumb.jpeg

Here is DSC #4142 to Leo A. Myers issued in lieu of the Certificate of Merit for actions during the Philippine Insurrection. The cross is boxed in the original "D.S.C." case. His citation reads as:

"The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross, in lieu of a previously issued Certificate of Merit and Distinguished Service Medal, to Private Leo A. Myers, United States Army, for gallantry while serving as a member of Troop K, 6th Cavalry Regiment, in action against hostile Moros at Patian Island, Philippine Islands, 2 July 1909."

Jeff

post-12534-0-68681600-1550251082_thumb.jpg

Here is some more information about his citation from the "Army-Navy-Air Force Register and Defense Times, Volume 51":

"Myers, Leo A., private, troop K, 6th cav., July 2, 1909, on Patian Island, P. I.; for gallantry in action against hostile Moros, when, being a member of the machine-gun detachment and the machine-gun detachment having been driven from its position by a heavy fire, one member being killed, he did assist an officer (1st Lieut. Archie Miller, 6th cav.) in placing the machine gun in advance of its former position, at about twenty yards from the enemy, all the while being under a heavy fire and the gun tripod being struck several times by bullets."

Jeff

WOW! Jeff - any chance of a close up of the engraving on your DSC? That's superb! (Not just the engraving, but the whole thing...whoa!)

Bob,

That is INCREDIBLE! I find it interesting that this medal would be issued for a 1909 action and others in the 4,000 number range were issued in World War II. Army supply at its best!

Allan

Thank you for sharing Jeff, thats the first time I have ever seen a In Lieu of CoM, DSC. Hope to see more as well as more CoM & CoM related medals.

Here is DSC #4142 to Leo A. Myers issued in lieu of the Certificate of Merit for actions during the Philippine Insurrection. The cross is boxed in the original "D.S.C." case. His citation reads as:

"The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross, in lieu of a previously issued Certificate of Merit and Distinguished Service Medal, to Private Leo A. Myers, United States Army, for gallantry while serving as a member of Troop K, 6th Cavalry Regiment, in action against hostile Moros at Patian Island, Philippine Islands, 2 July 1909."

Jeff

FYI - Miller received a MoH for this action in 1912. In Miller's citation, Myers is noted as "an enlisted man."

And if I understand the thread properly, Myers first received a CoM, then a replacement DSM, then a DSC to replace the DSM. That's gotta be rare in itself. Any idea of the dates of these awards and how they were initiated?

From what I understand, Myers would have initially received the CoM medal sometime in 1909. Then, when the CoM was declared obsolete in 1918, Myers would have exchanged his CoM for a DSM. Then, sometime around 1934 he would have exchanged his DSM for this DSC. This is all speculation as I have not been able to find any official award dates yet.

Jeff

From what I understand, Myers would have initially received the CoM medal sometime in 1909. Then, when the CoM was declared obsolete in 1918, Myers would have exchanged his CoM for a DSM. Then, sometime around 1934 he would have exchanged his DSM for this DSC. This is all speculation as I have not been able to find any official award dates yet.

Jeff

Jeff heres a page from the Certificate if Merit/DSM book, it appears that Myers did not receive a DSM, at least according to the reference.

post-134470-0-73611700-1550419654_thumb.jpeg

A total of 74 individuals are known to have applied for and received a DSC in lieu of a previous award of the Certificate of Merit. Please note that not all recipients of a Certificate of Merit also received the Certificate of Merit Medal approved in 1905.

There were a total of 33 (34 if you count John C. Young’s second award) Certificate of Merit conversions in which the recipients received all three medals (the Certificate of Merit medal, the Distinguished Service Medal, and the Distinguished Service Cross. They are:

Abbott, George F., Corporal, Co. G, 9th Infantry: China Relief Expedition (1900)

Barnes, Walter K., Acting Steward, Hospital Corps: Philippine Insurrection (1900)

Bowden, William H., Corporal, Co. C, 27th Infantry: Non-Combat Heroism (1912)

Broadus, Lewis, 1st Sgt, Co. M, 25th Infantry: Non-Combat Heroism (1906)

Bryan, William, Corporal, 69th Co., CAC: Non-Combat Heroism (1910)

Capron, Harry W., Corporal, Troop B, 7th Cavalry: Indian Wars (1890)

Carr, Fred, Corporal, Co G, 34th US Vol. Infantry: Philippine Insurrection (1899)

Cook, William C., Private, Co. C, 13th Infantry: Spanish-American War (1898)

Garrard, Floyd P., Sergeant, Troop I, 2nd Cavalry: Non-Combat Heroism (1910)

Gould, Clarence S., 1st Sgt., Troop C, 1st Cavalry: Spanish-American War (1898)

Harrison, Fred A., Private, Troop C, 6th Cavalry: Philippine Insurrection (1901)

Hennecke, Frederick, Sergeant, Co. L, 8th Infantry: Philippine Insurrection (1906)

Hickey, Edward J., Private, QM Detachment, USMA: Non-Combat Heroism (1904)

Keister, Guy A., Private, Co. F, 8th Infantry: Non-Combat Heroism (1911)

Koenig, Edward, Private, Co. G, 8th Infantry: Non-Combat Heroism (1905)

Leonard, Charles L., Steward, Hospital Corps: Philippine Insurrection (1903)

Mahoney, Dennis, Private, Co. I, 36th US Vol. Inf.: Philippine Insurrection (1899)

McDonald, Wilbert L., Sergeant, Co. D, 19th Infantry: Philippine Insurrection (1906)

Nichols, Edward T., 1st Sgt., Co. D, 21st Infantry: Spanish-American War (1898)

Olsen, Stanley R., PFC, Troop H, 6th Cavalry: Non-Combat Heroism (1916)

Olson, Roy C., Corporal, Co. D, 19th Infantry: Philippine Insurrection (1906)

O’Rourke, John, 1st Sgt., Co. C, 17th Infantry: Spanish-American War (1898)

Richardson, Clarence M., Sergeant, 3rd Co., CAC: Non-Combat Heroism (1917)

Rings, William, Cook, Co. L, 30th US Vol. Infantry: Philippine Insurrection (1900)

Shaffer, Samuel W., Sgt-Major, 7th Infantry: Spanish-American War (1898)

Staples, Frank, Private, Co. F, 27th Infantry: Philippine Insurrection (1903)

Thornton, William, Corporal, Co. G, 24th Infantry: Spanish-American War (1898)

Vandervert, Claud R., Sergeant, Co. K, 7th Infantry: Non-Combat Heroism (1914)

Whelan, John, Sergeant, Co. F, 27th Infantry: Philippine Insurrection (1902)

Willford, James W., Sergeant, Co. G, 9th Infantry: Philippine Insurrection (1901)

Woods, George, Corporal, Co. B, 27th Infantry: Philippine Insurrection (1902)

Young, John C., Sgt-Major, 3rd Inf. Regt: 1st award: Non-Combat Heroism (1896)

Young, John C., Sgt-Major, 3rd Inf. Regt: 2nd award: Spanish-American War (1898)

Zink, Edward J., QM Sgt., Co. A, 22nd Infantry: Non-Combat Heroism (1904)

Thank you all for the helpful information. Myers must have held on to his CoM until congress allowed recipients to exchange for a DSC around 1934.