Fishing Kit- C-1 Vest

dustin

Posted in the for sale section a fishing kit for a C-1 vest, someone responded asking to see the instructions with nomenclature which is typically there. I copied the images from M1A1-1944's post, it's his item, and instead of making that sale thread a conversation I moved it here. The fishing kit in question is essentially an imposter posing as a fishing kit that would belong in a C-1 vest. What had occurred was by late 1945 equipment for multi-person life rafts and new sustenance kits were in revision and development, the fishing kit included in the vest was adopted for integration into those units. It was manufactured and assembled as per the same drawing, a direct copy but void of nomenclature designating it as a component for the vest. To back up, the US Navy had already replaced the roll apron type fishing kits (AN-K-2/AN-6522-1) with a similar compact kit so they were no longer in procurement of those. For the USAAF, the fishing kit referenced under drawing number 44B9156 was then integrated into life raft and sustenance kit equipment progressing to replace the roll type as well, which it was officially declared obsolete in December 1946. It was replaced by the Kit, Fishing, Emergency Dwg. 44B9156, the same unit included in the vest. This unit would evolve to the Kit, Fishing, Survival MIL-F-6218. Because it was used in multiple kits it no longer included the nomenclature for the vest. What you are actually seeing is an immediate post war replacement for the roll type fishing kits, a good representative of the evolutionary ladder pre-MIL-SPEC stuff. I do not intend to hurt the sale but it is what it is and shed some light on it.

post-56-0-88642700-1550244357_thumb.jpgpost-56-0-31797600-1550244366_thumb.jpg