5th Marine Division uniforms

4thraiders

I started collecting uniforms in December and have really caught a deep interest in it since. I have some great field gear and it’ll always interest me but these are much better for research and finding their stories.

I do have uniforms from other divisions that I like but I seem to have some awesome luck finding 5th Marine Division uniforms.

Here’s some that I’ve gained since then. There’s some extraordinary stories and even interviews I’ve found that accompany each.

Below the uniforms is a chart of who they are and which battalions and regiment they were in.

Some are all original with ribbons SSI and rank. Most have original SSI and rank. One was stripped of SSI for the Korean War but I added it back right where the ghosting is the SSI was. Some ribbons make ups aren’t 100% correct yet as I haven’t gotten to everyone’s files. But seeing as most of them only saw one battle they’ve been easy to figure out.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

One of my favorites is is Howard A. Larsen. He was in the flagraiser’s company. He shared the same MOS (mortarcrewman) as Harold Schultz. I think it’s interesting that he knew and fought besides them in some capacity. I’m really digging to see if he was in the same mortar crew as Schultz or in the same platoon with any of them. Who knows!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Always on interested to see what others have! I’ve seen some huge 5th MD collections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larsen’s uniform is a spare and not his uniform upon discharge. This is his PFC coat that he most likely took that picture and his headshot in. It appears Larsen was promoted to corporal in April of 1945 and that cost With the original ribbons is in other hands! Good hands at that!

Really nice collection. Is the paramarine named?

Mark

They are all named. He is in the chart in the 3rd comment. Elwood Reel. There’s a nice period photo of him in some of his para gear on here.

Kurt Barickman

You have done VERY well for collecting 5th Marine Division patched tunics in such a short period of time. They are not easy to find that are named and the research pans out for a Iwo Jima combat veteran.

Kurt

jeremiahcable

They are all named. He is in the chart in the 3rd comment. Elwood Reel. Theres a nice period photo of him in some of his para gear on here.

Ah, so you're the one that grabbed Reel's blouse. Glad it went to a good home.

You have done VERY well for collecting 5th Marine Division patched tunics in such a short period of time. They are not easy to find that are named and the research pans out for a Iwo Jima combat veteran.

Kurt

Thank you Kurt! Got lucky on a few and the other turned up along the way. The research is absolutely the best part. I get to learn about that marine and also about his unit.

Ah, so you're the one that grabbed Reel's blouse. Glad it went to a good home.

Thanks man! He grew up an hour away and they’re aren’t many items from my home state around so I really wanted to snag it

• 11 months later...

Awesome collection!!! Tomorrow I am heading to Camp Pendleton, home of the 5th Marine Division of WWII, for the 75th Iwo Jima Anniversary memorial and banquet. I thought is appropriate to bring this thread back up now since 75 years ago next week the Iwo Jima battle began.