Aircraft Clearance Light Lens?

GWS

Got these in a box of misc. items from a guy who was stationed at Edwards AFB from 1960-62. I didn't pay much attention to them thinking they were from a truck or tow vehicle, until

I picked one up and found that they were glass instead of plastic. Would these be used on an aircraft rather than a ground vehicle? Were the red used on one side and the blue on the other, or one set forward and the other aft? One of the red lenses has been coated(painted) inside with a silver coating for half the length of the lens, the others are not but all have been sand-blasted matte inside from forward of the screw hole on back. Any information on these appreciated as I have little idea what else they might be used for.post-2137-0-32871600-1550171679_thumb.jpgpost-2137-0-10972800-1550171706_thumb.jpgpost-2137-0-69030700-1550171740_thumb.jpg

Wingtip nav/position lights, red on left, green on right (or "Red on right is wrong"). Those look blue but until you put a white light bulb behind it. Searching that part number comes up with "Grimes Aircraft Navigation Light, Green Lens".

Wingtip nav/position lights, red on left, green on right (or "Red on right is wrong"). Those look blue but until you put a white light bulb behind it. Searching that part number comes up with "Grimes Aircraft Navigation Light, Green Lens".

Thanks for the info MattS, I didn't have any idea where to look for it other than here. Thanks again.

Steve

No problem! I'm a pilot and work at an airport so I see these quite often on older aircraft, most newer lighting systems are strobes and LEDs. There is a third white light on the tail and the arrangement of the 3 allows you to determine the position of the aircraft at night, hence the nickname "position lights".

No problem! I'm a pilot and work at an airport so I see these quite often on older aircraft, most newer lighting systems are strobes and LEDs. There is a third white light on the tail and the arrangement of the 3 allows you to determine the position of the aircraft at night, hence the nickname "position lights".

Thank you for even more info and help from a fellow Hoosier!

Steve