N,S. Meyers Flight Surgon wing for review

nbolinger

picked this up a couple days ago notmarke3d sterling and the pin does not open all the way figured it was worth a shinola , normally really careful around these but they were cheap. Thanks for any help i can get.

post-9905-0-79957300-1550161716_thumb.jpg

Everything looks good except that black laquer on the back.

Ive read bad things about that.

I dont know for sure though.

Pin looks good.

I am wondering myself what the concensus is on these as the Meyers are so fraught with concearns.

Could these be Restrikes with the correct pin?

Its the black laquer coating and the attachment marks craters

next to the pin bases under the laquer?

But please dont take my word for it because m suspicious of a lot of wings and some turn out

to be the real thing. I dont know enough to make a solid call on these but the things

I mentioned give.... Pause....

The wing experts will weigh in.......

Interesting. The black lacquer finish on NS Meyer wings were seen on the restrikes. But the pin and hallmark were typically incorrect on those wings. I believe that late WWII/KW vintage Meyer wings had a "frosted" or "pebbly" like finish and have that center hallmark. On the other hand, the vintage wings had a little "stop" on the back where the hardware was fitted. It looks like this wing lacks that and I believe I can see what has been a repair behind the hinge. Which makes me think that they added new hardware.

Finally, there is something going on with the finish around the central part of the wing. If I had to guess, I would think that is from heating of the metal when they added the caduseus.

With out holding it, I can't exactly say that this wing gives me warm fuzzy feelings. If you like it that is all that really matters, of course. But as an investment, I would think you are almost better off waiting for a less murky sample. NS Meyer wings never seem to hold the same value as other wings, even when they have 100% going for them.

rathbonemuseum.com

There is enough about this wing that would give me pause. Especially when I see the black back. When you see enough wings like this, its best to pass it even if you are not quite sure. Because when you want to move it, the next person won't be sure either. We may never know for certain but I avoid "question marks" like this as a rule.

• 2 weeks later...
The Rooster

Hey look at this... Must be two identical bad Meyer restrikes floating around?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WW2-Korean-War-US-AAC-Full-Size-Flight-Surgeon-Wing/254154929269?hash=item3b2cd07475:g:n30AAOSw2s1cgZ75&frcectupt=true

Wow!!! Someone wants $95.00 Bucks for that POS Restrike with the added correct pin.

Just like the one above.... in this post!

Wow!

The Rooster

Wow! Really ! Wow!!! $95

Let the buyer beware. In fact exactly like this post. Wonder how there could be two

so identical??? People selling fake wings people selling fake helmets and stopping by here to pump people for info. Gives me pause...

Its the same damned wing! Look at the nicks in the tar! etc etc etc

post-181333-0-27345100-1552025105_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

Maybe you can get your buddy V42 to make another 10 meaningless comments by morning and push this to the second page?

nbolinger