New guy with EGA question

DeLong1

Hello all......Looking for a little info on a EGA my wife brought back from a flea market today. Being a USMC Vietnam vet, she picked this up for me and I have never seen this style before. It says Meyer Metal on the back with a pin clasp. I don't know if it is silver & gold but sure looks like it, also, there isn't any rope on the anchor. Being two- toned I imagine it is officers not like mine (enlisted) . I'll try to post a couple pics of it................any info would be appreciated, Thanks!

Craig M. DeLong Sgt. USMC 1969-1973

post-216952-0-14002500-1550109924_thumb.jpgpost-216952-0-15581200-1550109945_thumb.jpgpost-216952-0-51864300-1550109958_thumb.jpg

WWII officers dress collar emblem by NS Meyers. However, this one appears to have never had a screwpost and by the placement of the pin, it was most likely produced and sold at the PX as a homefront/sweetheart pin. Nice pin

Nice pin! It is of a pattern that existed as far back as WW1, however was made well into the 1940's and 1950's (ways to tell is material, craftsmanship/construction, method of suspension, maker, etc). Yours is the latter, and does indeed look like a sweetheart piece based of the odd placement of the pin. Value... probably around $40?

Hope this helps you.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Just a little follow-up on my original question........found this info, which is WAY more than anyone really needs but describes in detail the EGA's from conception till now. Maybe it would help someone out.

Thanks, C.M. DeLong

https://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/THE%20EAGLE,%20GLOBE,%20AND%20ANCHOR%201868-1968%20%20PCN%2019000319900_3.pdf

That's the original, and for several decades only, EGA reference to be published. Two additional reference books were published in the last couple of years

teufelhunde.ret

That's the original, and for several decades only, EGA reference to be published. Two additional reference books were published in the last couple of years

The author is a member here and will sell you a copy directly

5CEAC62D-509C-41CA-9BBA-46BDAA5AEB83.jpeg