1st Marine Division Dress Blues as seen on eBay

Code_Talker_101

Code_Talker_101

Today I recieved the dress blues worn by Mr. Elijah R. Gardner. I have no been able to find much research except that he was a cook and was in the replacement draft in April 1945 where he was sent to the 1st Marine Division. Sometime between then and January 1946 he became sick and was at several field hospitals.

This uniform has his name stamped all over it. There is a place on one of the pockets of the pants with numbers and another name possibly. I can not make it out.

Also, I have not seen a 1st marine division patch like this nor have I seen stars on a ribbon bar this detailed. Does anyone know the manafacturer of both the ribbons, stars, and the patch?

Also if anyone could find his grave or any more information that would help a lot!

post-214265-0-30742800-1550096199_thumb.jpg

post-214265-0-50846700-1550096223_thumb.jpg

Code_Talker_101

Australian made SSI?

Is it Australian made? Someone told me it's a common US made one. I have no clue but you are the second to suggest Australian.

Code_Talker_101

What about the highly detailed stars on the ribbon bar? Is there a guide to 1st Marine Division patches?

Code_Talker_101

I appreciate everyone's help in regards to the patch! I had no clue about the variations.

I am going to try and get this marines file to see where he was in the 2 year gap in the muster rolls. Can anyone find the missing musters or can anyone find any more information about him?

Code_Talker_101

I snatched it up as soon as I saw it. For $225 I had to get it. I've been wanting one as well. I'm hoping the ribbons are original to him. I'm going to get his files soon hopefully.

Based on the position of the stars it looks like there may have been a third star that fell off. Is there any indication of damage to the ribbon?

I think $225 is a bit on the high end of this but as long as your happy!

Getting his file is the best way to go. It will answer a lot of questions and bring life back to the uniform

Code_Talker_101

There are no holes where a 3rd star would have been. The back of the ribbons are stitched together and there is no access to add not remove a star. I am going to get his file soon. I know someone who can get it for $40 which isn't bad.

I don't think the price was obscene...pretty common for patched named 1stMarDiv blouses to fetch $200+...blues are tougher to find than service uniforms patched, as most Marines had no use for them during the war.

Not the most in-demand uniform due to his time as a cook, granted, but patched period uniforms are drying up, especially with original trousers and ribbons