Mystery Rifle Sight

sfk20

Hi All,

Anyone know what this sight is for? It came with a USN grouping to a medical officer. I have his 1911 and M1 carbine, but this doesn't go with either of those does it? Any help is appreciated!

post-216044-0-19219300-1550085267_thumb.jpg

It looks like one of the sites used on a .22 cal Mossberg rifle.THey mounted to the left side of the reciever.THe Model 140 and otheres were popular with hunters.Mossberg had a variety of styles and models.There was also a Model 44/144 that were military trainers I recall.

Thanks for the help! After a quick search it looks like you're right about it being a Mossberg .22 sight. I'll measure the space between mounting holes this evening and reply back.

Charlie Flick

Doyler is correct. The U.S. Navy employed many thousands of the Mossberg .22 LR Model 44 US as trainers during and after WW2. Your guy was Navy, so that may be the connection and source for this rear sight.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks everyone! I'd say mystery solved. For what it's worth the measurement between the mounting holes is 2cm, but I'm pretty sure you guys have figured out what this belongs to.