kaszanka

M1917A1 with a little unusual owner file

Thank You !

I got this helmet for $150, this year I got another one with a emblem and I paid little more. I think nice ones are worth $200 and more, for sure there is less of these than M1's, its just that M1's are much more sought after

Thanks, much appreciated!

Thanks, much appreciated!

Last M1917A1 I bought in similar condition was $125 but that was several years ago. It has a WW2 soldier's name and ASN inside and was then reissued to Civil Defense.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Maybe a good woman. It looks like he got married about the same time he took the job from which he retired and he remained married to her for the rest of her life (she passed before him).

Nice named helmet.

Great job going the extra mile Kaszanka. I love when you follow the white rabbit and the story of a life unfolds. What an incredible read.

This guy really is first in line for THE DIRTY DOZEN!

Nowadays John Lauck would have been labeled as a Special Needs child. During the depression he was just a worthless punk kid with no direction.

Alcoholic father.

Raised by a single mother during the Depression.

Uncle is a bootlegger.

Completed 5th grade.

By age 14 arrested 15 times for robbery and car theft.

Age 18 joined Army the day after Pearl Harbor to get out of reform school.

Army psychologists stated:

Alcoholic tendencies, a confirmed psychopath. Smoked kief (cannabis resins).

"Illiterate"

"Mental age of 11 years 4 mos."

“Has no sense of social ethical responsibility and will undoubtably continue to be a criminologic problem as long as he is at liberty.”

Stole an Army truck and set up business hauling cattle and foodstuffs for Italians. So - at least he had business acumen!

BEAST - I bet you’re right. A good woman turned him around. This poor kid was dealt a crap hand growing up. Maybe after the war for the first time in his life he was LOVED and valued by another human being. Army called him unredeemable. Yet he married, acquired a lifelong career, raised a family…

I think John Lauck’s story would make a great American movie. The anti-hero loser that pulls it together and is redeemed in the last reel.

In memory of Honored Uncle William Comstock of Saybrook Connecticut, age 16, murdered by the traitor Benedict Arnold at Fort Trumbull CT, Sept. 6, 1781. Son of Pvt. Samuel Comstock III, brother of Pvt. Samuel Comstock IV, 6th Regiment, Connecticut Line. Your sacrifice is not forgotten. God Bless America. - Kurt C.

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

"Thank you for your service. (??).

Ditto the above comment...definitely special needs and layers of issues...but more importantly, he seems to have improved and "did ok" for himself later in life.

Cool helmet.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

I agree that this is an amazing story.

With a family that he fathered there should be a few living family members who probably know the story.

His epitaph tells us that despite his turn around he didn't forget where he came from and enjoyed joking about it.

donation2013.gif

Nice helmet. Great story!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

I think John Lauck’s story would make a great American movie. The anti-hero loser that pulls it together and is redeemed in the last reel.

Thank You for great summary ! Glad you guys enjoyed the read ! maybe one day Hollywood will discover this troubled life :D

here is his first (from 1944) trial documents

post-111995-0-79513200-1550283897_thumb.jpg

Sincerely, Michal

Hi, I lke a lot such history along an item ;-)

- Lester H Scheaffer (Fleetwood - PA) - 175th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division - KIA September 12th 1944 attacking the Brest Naval range butt

I’m proudly in charge of his grave at St James cemetery. RIP

(My left avatar portrait)

- Jay E Hansford (Baxter Springs - KS ) - 146th Engineer Combat Battalion SETF - KIA June 6th 1944 landing on Dog White Omaha Beach

I’m proudly in charge of his grave at Colleville sur mer cemetery. RIP

(My right avatar portrait)

- See their story, and other ones here : http://mylifeinthewar.over-blog.com/

-- Interested in pictures (and others items) concerning the French Navy ships that went under repair in US Navy yards in 1943. In Boston (Le Terrible, le Fantasque, le Malin), in NYC (Richelieu) and in Philadelphia (Le Georges Leygues, Le Gloire, Le Montcalm)

this is one of the most interesting posts I have read .I bet the family reunions were a hoot!