Officer's Grouping LARGE

sfk20

Hi everyone, new to the forum and this is my first post, so hopefully the photos upload alright. I got this from the son of a U.S. Navy Medical Officer who was commissioned sometime in the late 30's and was posted to Pearl Harbor in March 1941. He served between there and San Francisco until 1944 when he was assigned as one of the medical officers of an aircraft carrier. Later he worked on Okinawa as a doctor for both Marines and Japanese civilians until being sent back to the U.S. in November 1945. Lots of stuff to upload so this will be ongoing. Let me know what you guys think!

post-216044-0-01981500-1550022519_thumb.jpg

post-216044-0-95143200-1550022527_thumb.jpg

Sorry some of the images aren't upright. They're oriented correctly on my computer so I don't know what's wrong. Anyway, I need to take some more photos of the other paper items I have as well as two of his footlockers that I will upload tomorrow. If any of the photos aren't clear or I'm misidentifying anything, please let me know!

Thanks!

Japanese language books, interesting 1939 Tokyo tourist map produced by the Japanese govt, 4 page daily news pamphlet from the ship this guy sailed to Hawaii on

post-216044-0-93353800-1550068106_thumb.jpg

post-216044-0-51123100-1550068115_thumb.jpg

Very impressive grouping of items and to have the provenance with the items is great..

Welcome to the forum...

Great first post...

Leigh

Steve Brannan

Regarding the Sword belts, the black leather one is Standard belt for normal wear. The gold belt is for Full Dress/Formal occasions. Definitely old school. Very nice items.

Steve Brannan

Regarding the Sword belts, the black leather one is Standard belt for normal wear. The gold belt is for Full Dress/Formal occasions. Definitely old school. Very nice items. Most likely Pre-WW2 era like the fancy shoulder boards and fore/aft dress hat. These items were not required of Naval Officers during the War.

Regarding the Sword belts, the black leather one is Standard belt for normal wear. The gold belt is for Full Dress/Formal occasions. Definitely old school. Very nice items. Most likely Pre-WW2 era like the fancy shoulder boards and fore/aft dress hat. These items were not required of Naval Officers during the War.

Ok thanks. Definitely pre-WWII, this guy started his career in 1937 or 38. From what I've read these dress items were phased out in 1940. It seems pretty likely that he never used any of it.

great group....the white canvas bags are typical what would be made on ship out of avaiable canvas materials.I have one that came with a Japanese rifle which was stored in the case/cover